Fall parades

Brings back memories …

Reading (not the alumni) used to do a Halloween parade in Fleetwood, PA every year. (It usually fell the week before the Kutztown parade and two weeks before the King Frost parade). Our base was the VFW post in the center of the town. So we could tune up at the bar.

The parade was a circular affair; you wandered from the post to the parade start, marched the length of the main drag, and then doubled back along a parallel, but mostly empty, street.

Most of the return march we spent in “route step” – walking along with no beat. But a block or so from one well-remembered house we would crank up the street time. As we passed the house, some guy would come running out and ask the drum major for some music. As a bunch of people spilled out into his yard, we’d hit the kickoff and the color pre, and head off again (remember, we were holding up everyone behind us) with the exit number. The guy would pass $50 to the drum major and the first few rounds after the parade were on him (hey, this was 1969 or so).

I could probably remember the house if I had to ...

Edited by The Oz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops...

unbelievable.... I made a mistake and even more unbelievable --- you guys are right :P

Correction

For Veterans Day

Fusion will be at.....

Clifton on 11/11

Holy crap - I made a mistake!

b**bs Beer time (Like Bill's idea)

Brings back memories …

Reading (not the alumni) used to do a Halloween parade in Fleetwood, PA every year. (It usually fell the week before the Kutztown parade and two weeks before the King Frost parade). Our base was the VFW post in the center of the town. So we could tune up at the bar.

The parade was a circular affair; you wandered from the post to the parade start, marched the length of the main drag, and then doubled back along a parallel, but mostly empty, street.

Most of the return march we spent in “route step” – walking along with no beat. But a block or so from one well-remembered house we would crank up the street time. As we passed the house, some guy would come running out and ask the drum major for some music. As a bunch of people spilled out into his yard, we’d hit the kickoff and the color pre, and head off again (remember, we were holding up everyone behind us) with the exit number. The guy would pass $50 to the drum major and the first few rounds after the parade were on him (hey, this was 1969 or so).

I could probably remember the house if I had to ...

the Kutztown parade. What a blast!

Unfortunately, the students ruined it for us, by even drinking more and behaving worse. b**bs

The pee-rade is no more.

Ouch!

Sorry to hear about the amputation.

Friend of mine lost a leg to diabetes last year. Keeps on a brave face and says, finally he's been able to lose weight and now he has an excuse to miss parades. (he hates parades)

He also tried to push the recovery along quickly with some re-injury to the wound.

Don't even know ya, but I'll hit a double G for you and also have a beer at the Hamburg, PA parade. :mmm:

Best of luck to you in your recovery.

Thank's marty that means alot ! :)

Good Luck, Rudi!

I'll tell the SKY Family to keep a good thought for your Progress. B)

We can certainly relate, having been led for many Seasons by the legendary "Lefty"! :huh:

Go Buckeyes!

Bill

Oops...

unbelievable.... I made a mistake and even more unbelievable --- you guys are right :P

Correction

For Veterans Day

Fusion will be at.....

Clifton on 11/11

Holy crap - I made a mistake!

b**bs Beer time (Like Bill's idea)

Danny, is Clifton on 11/11 or 11/4? I originally had it on the Sky Calendar for the 11 but I was told it was on the 4th.

Joe

Joe,

Anyone who wants to march in Clifton on the 11th, just meet at my place, and we'll march around the the KEG fountain in my backyard...

One mug per lap sound right? :huh:

BILL B)

Now that sounds like a fun parade B)

Hey Joe,

Let's forget about the parade,

Meet at Cliffs for a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEE steak

and a couple of Kegs of beer

and salute the Vets on our own!!!!

Hey at this point, I don't even know where Clifton is LOL!!!!

Hey Joe,

Here is what you find out there about the parade;

Saturday, Nov. 10, 2007 Veterans Day Clifton Lineup Time: 1: 3OPM reported on

http://www.mtaofnj.org/mta_events/MTAParad...ntList_2007.pdf

another one to throw in the mix...

on top of that the Dept. of Public Works didn't even know...

Guess I will just wait for the contract to arrive to be sure....

And there is always Bill's backyard!!!!

b**bs

Unfortunately, the students ruined it for us, by even drinking more and behaving worse. b**bs

The St. Patricks Day parade in New Haven, CT is like that. It's not bad until you get to Yale University. The drunk students are really bad. They try to steal our hats, drumsticks, and flags. I had one kid try and sit on my drum as we marched. He found out that drumsticks can really hurt when you get hit by them. Even the TV camera people gave up and left. So much for the future leaders of our country.

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride, <**> <**> <**>