Ron Hardin New Vis Caption Head at Bluecoats

No one gets "canned" by the Bluecoats -- everyone is hired to one-year deals. If they're not re-hired, they're not necessarily "fired."

Steph had been with the Bluecoats in various capacities for several years, as far back as the late 1990s, I think. As for the number of visual caption heads they've had, well, that's not always b/c they tried to fix it with someone new. Those people just didn't always choose to come back.

If we'd only kept Sly from the early 1990s ...

I just would like to know what would happen if we'd stick with a visual caption head, like Steph. It might not be "fired" but it says something to the world when the Visual caption head "doesn't come back" and someone else appears instead. It's the same reason Dave is so protective of us in anything representing the bluecoats. He wants us to represent the corps in a certain way, and to do this represents us in a certain way, and it's something I'm afraid of. I'm afraid we're saying, "we didn't like the scores, so we're bringing someone else in so that we can hopefully get a score we like better." Which is also frustrating because I remember hearing so many times that we weren't concerned with scores. I'm honestly not anymore, I was incredibly happy with the season, the direction we were traveling... I just want to have Steph around to beef us up. Maybe it's not always the caption head, maybe it's design. Maybe it is the caption head, I guess I don't really know, I'm just a performer I guess...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron was also at Blue Devils when they won back in the 90s. Not sure which years

Ron was with us starting in 94 until he left for SCV. He's a great guy and a great tech, and I think Bluecoats is lucky to have him.

The announcement indicates Ron "spent five years as the Visual Caption Head of the Santa Clara Vanguard." Anyone know which years? I'm curious because, from a visual perspective, I've immensely enjoyed many of SCV's programs.

Lets just say, those 5 years he spent at SCV, were not the "greatest" years visually. 2000 (in my opinion) was the last good visual book vanguard had, from a design and visual performance standpoint. 2003 was hard, but that doesnt equate to being the "greatest" book, 2005--well, we all know how that turned out...

As for him being with Blue Stars--I will let a Blue Star alum chime in there... Ron hasn't had a good track record in a while... Yes, he has done some great things with corps--but his drill design is not anything to clamor for, and his groups havent had clean feet in a long time (SCV 2004 was dirty too). Its time for people to think about what people have done CURRENTLY... Yes he helped BD back in the day, but look at the other talented staff he had working along side of him--he didnt do it all himself. Blue Stars feet and drill design were nothing to write home about this past year...

Im actually rather appalled to read that a corps like Bluecoats would make such a move... I know many many many many individuals who have had negative experiences with Ron. See me in a PM if you want to go there.

I apologize up front if this post sounds harsh, but I really couldnt word things any other way.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan03

My other argument is: How long were Dave and George around before people recognized our hornline and the success it has achieved? Think of how many brass caption heads we've had in the past 7 years, and compare it to the number of vis caption heads.

george has only been around since 2004, im pretty sure.

Steph had been with the Bluecoats in various capacities for several years, as far back as the late 1990s, I think.

since 2001.

no thanks, by the way. i see the reasoning of course, but ill pass.

... Ron hasn't had a good track record in a while...

Yes he helped BD back in the day, but look at the other talented staff he had working along side of him--he didnt do it all himself.

I know many many many many individuals who have had negative experiences with Ron.

Agreed. I, too, know many many people (former students AND co-workers) who have had less than stellar things to say about him. Great resume though...Best of luck to him and the Bluecoats.

Agreed. I, too, know many many people (former students AND co-workers) who have had less than stellar things to say about him. Great resume though...Best of luck to him and the Bluecoats.

I guess a resume is all people look at now. I seriously think corps need to do more than just looking at a "name"--there are lot of names out there, who are nothing more than that... a name on a piece of paper. There are tons of people who have worked with Blue Devils, Vanguard, and plenty of the other top 5 corps--does that mean they are "all that" or get the job done. Ron was the person in the position of caption head, but I think many people forget that there were others who were actually getting his job done. Todd Ryan teaches feet much better than Ron Hardin...not sure if they taught together, but a friend of mine teaches feet with someone who was under Ron... and they both agree, that Ron is no good.

Lets just say, those 5 years he spent at SCV, were not the "greatest" years visually. 2000 (in my opinion) was the last good visual book vanguard had, from a design and visual performance standpoint. 2003 was hard, but that doesnt equate to being the "greatest" book, 2005--well, we all know how that turned out...

As for him being with Blue Stars--I will let a Blue Star alum chime in there... Ron hasn't had a good track record in a while... Yes, he has done some great things with corps--but his drill design is not anything to clamor for, and his groups havent had clean feet in a long time (SCV 2004 was dirty too). Its time for people to think about what people have done CURRENTLY... Yes he helped BD back in the day, but look at the other talented staff he had working along side of him--he didnt do it all himself. Blue Stars feet and drill design were nothing to write home about this past year...

Im actually rather appalled to read that a corps like Bluecoats would make such a move... I know many many many many individuals who have had negative experiences with Ron. See me in a PM if you want to go there.

I apologize up front if this post sounds harsh, but I really couldnt word things any other way.

Ron never did the drill at SCV, and I don't know if you can put all the blame of 05 on him. I hear that the original drill by Myron was not good, so they were set back all summer. And I thought he wasn't caption head at Blue Stars but supervisor, so we don't know his involvement there.

Ron never did the drill at SCV, and I don't know if you can put all the blame of 05 on him. I hear that the original drill by Myron was not good, so they were set back all summer. And I thought he wasn't caption head at Blue Stars but supervisor, so we don't know his involvement there.

Well, he's gone from Blue Devils, (...and SCV)

to Blue Stars, now to Bluecoats... where will he end up next? Blue Knights? :P

And from what I understand, he was involved with a lot of the drill design in 05. Even if the original drill was not good, he was in the caption head position, and most people will point the finger at him--as it is his job to oversee the visual caption (performance and design). Again, caption supervisor at Blue Stars, his job is either going to be giving suggestions, or it is just a fancy way of saying "caption head"--either way, he served an important role at those two corps, and had the option of having input in the product.

I thought Bluecoats were doing fine with their previous caption head though... at least from what I hear from the members.

No one gets "canned" by the Bluecoats -- everyone is hired to one-year deals. If they're not re-hired, they're not necessarily "fired."

Steph had been with the Bluecoats in various capacities for several years, as far back as the late 1990s, I think. As for the number of visual caption heads they've had, well, that's not always b/c they tried to fix it with someone new. Those people just didn't always choose to come back.

Who didn't choose to come back during those years?