Ron Hardin New Vis Caption Head at Bluecoats

IMO, the writing was on the cell wall. Someone has to address and fix the visual issue in order for Bloo to go to the next level. I give Mr. Glasgow credit for shaking things up. IMO, Bloo actually marched very well, but no doubt, there were some design issues. Dave & Co. must be a little frustrated because this drum corps plays and drums well enough to win a title. Maybe he's looking for the same type of SMART approach to visual, (And Guard) that he already has with design, (Drew) , brass, and drums. IMO, these guys are some of the very brightest in the entire activity. (Maybe they should just take over visual too?) The whole running lap thing, etc, and general "tough guy" approach is really pretty archaic, counterproductive, and actually can cause many untimely injuries. Mr. Glasgow strikes me as a guy that is very smart, and will make all the right moves. If Ron is on his game, he could make the difference for Bloo.

I'm confused too.

You're basically saying:

1. They had visual design issues keeping them from the next level

2. They marched very well

3. They hired Ron who is there to fix the marching, not design.

Wouldn't that mean they would still have design issues? (unless they're making changes there as well)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused too.

You're basically saying:

1. They had visual design issues keeping them from the next level

2. They marched very well

3. They hired Ron who is there to fix the marching, not design.

Wouldn't that mean they would still have design issues? (unless they're making changes there as well)

1. Yes, along with some guard issues as well.

2. Yes, but not top three level. There's room for improvement.

3. I think Ron's presence will be a positive, and yes, I hope they address the design issues as well. Ron is certainly a piece of the puzzle.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

'Coats marched well, and will march well again I'm assuming. Good luck to them

Edited by Steve709

I'm a DCP noobie, i know, but been reading a while this last semester, hope not to get burned too bad..

I'm really curious to see if they keep Mitch Rogers on as their drill writer. I remember seeing them at a couple of shows this year, once at Centerville, and then again in Denver, I remember thinking to myself that they look and march like BD, in some aspect better, but that drill was lacking to say the least. The Bluecoats are just bursting with potential, some of the coolest drumming (percussion had the worst drill), and some of the best marching brass players, and imo, these kids can march just as well as they play, I mean, you can't play that well without marching that well, and it just plain showed.

Ron sounds like a good guy, but the saying "if it's not broke, don't fix it" applies here. If Bluecoats can find a top notch drill writer this year, you will be seeing them in the top 3 for sure. I kind of feel bad for the membership, they have to learn how to march well (hopefully as well as last year) again a whole different way, it's like going to a top notch trumpet player and saying, great sound, try this new lesson instructor, he'll make you just a good a completely different way, kind of pointless and frustrating.

I'm a DCP noobie, i know, but been reading a while this last semester, hope not to get burned too bad..

I'm really curious to see if they keep Mitch Rogers on as their drill writer. I remember seeing them at a couple of shows this year, once at Centerville, and then again in Denver, I remember thinking to myself that they look and march like BD, in some aspect better, but that drill was lacking to say the least. The Bluecoats are just bursting with potential, some of the coolest drumming (percussion had the worst drill), and some of the best marching brass players, and imo, these kids can march just as well as they play, I mean, you can't play that well without marching that well, and it just plain showed.

Ron sounds like a good guy, but the saying "if it's not broke, don't fix it" applies here. If Bluecoats can find a top notch drill writer this year, you will be seeing them in the top 3 for sure. I kind of feel bad for the membership, they have to learn how to march well (hopefully as well as last year) again a whole different way, it's like going to a top notch trumpet player and saying, great sound, try this new lesson instructor, he'll make you just a good a completely different way, kind of pointless and frustrating.

Yeah, I'm curious about Mitch as well. I wonder if they keep Tim Fairbanks as their visual coordinator? Didn't seem like that helped much compared to where they were in 2006.

Ron will be able to do great things at Bluecoats, i'm pretty confident in that. He was great to work with last summer

Yeah, I'm curious about Mitch as well. I wonder if they keep Tim Fairbanks as their visual coordinator? Didn't seem like that helped much compared to where they were in 2006.

:sshh:

Hey Everyone,

I’m new to posting on DCP, so please forgive any protocol goofs I make. It's always exciting and scary to see your name be the headline for a post on here!

I’m excited about the chance to work for the Bluecoats. I only want for them what I’ve wanted for every group I’ve ever had the opportunity to teach, and that is to produce a great product, and try my best to help teach and train future teachers.

I think it’s great that this and other forums exist where members and alumni can have a voice, because we (instructors) certainly get the chance to bark at them all summer long! It’s great to see some people on here I had the chance to teach, and see their opinions, good and bad… As an instructor, I know I’ll never be able to please everyone, but I promise I will always try my best. I’ve been lucky enough to have worked with a lot of great people, most importantly Todd Ryan. Someone on here compared me to Todd, and I’ll be the FIRST to tell you, I can only hope to be a shadow of who Todd is and what he’s done! I’m just thankful I was able to work with him for so many years.

As caption heads, the buck does stop with us… regardless of what is going on behind the scenes. I guess that’s why we have to develop broad shoulders to weather the criticism that comes during and after particular seasons. I only hope that I’ve done some good along the way, and helped members walk out the door a little smarter and stronger than when they walked in. I haven’t written the drill for any of the corps I’ve been a tech or caption head with, but I’ve learned a lot from working alongside Jay, Myron, Pete and Mike.

I’m just thankful for the opportunities I’ve been given, and love me or hate me, I promise I’ll do my best!

I try to answer all of my emails, if anyone ever has any particular concerns or questions, I love talking about marching. ronhardin@aol.com

Thanks for the time!

Ron

Ron, best of luck with you at Coats this year. I'm very happy for you. I admire that you took the time to post here and were able to bite your tongue in spite of some of the BS. I know the BlueStars will miss you. I hope I bump into you again next summer.

-Ben