Name of SCV 1976 concert number?!

That awesome jazz/rock piece with the wailing sops. This has always been one of my all time favorite drum corps tunes!!

I always thought it was called Black Orchid and indeed that's what both corpsreps.com and the "History of Drum & Bugle Corps" calls it. corpreps says it was Stan Kenton. Anyway, I've been looking for the original tune for 30 years (literally) and never been able to find it.

I think it is a tune called "Out of the Night", on an Album "Basie & Beyond" (Quincy Jones/Sammy Nestico) http://www.amazon.com/Basie-Beyond-Quincy-...s/dp/B00004YNDT . This album was recorded in 2000, it isn't the original obviously.

I don't think the song was called Black Orchid. Was there a change of repertoire by the corps and the media never got the memo? Was it an original SCV composition that Sammy Nestico later renamed and re-arranged?! :)

BTW, this Basie & Beyond album also has "Ya Gotta Try.... Harder!" of BD fame.

Edited by MadScout80

I always thought it was called "Dark Orchid". There is a tune by that name by the great Sammy Nestico. Maybe that was it? Hopefully someone from that era will come on and give us the low down.

Edited by randomnoise

I concur, it was "Dark Orchid" but Madscout80's title of "Out of the Night" when listened to is in fact the same song.

I remember in 1975, we (members of the horn line) were campaigning for more of a jazzy show, something more mainstream and recognizable but to no avail. It looks like they partially got their way in 1976 with this tune, but it sure seemed out of place.

Edited by Russellrks

i always dug the soprano solo.

never the same solo twice

a real jazz player he was

what as his name?

i always forget.

There were three soprano solos in there. The first was L.A. Bill (don't know his last name but he came up from V.K.).

Next was Bubba Ward, the screamer.

The third soloist who I think you are referring to was Steve Warfield. I say that because he never played the same solo twice but L.A. Bill may have also been ad-libbing.

There were three soprano solos in there. The first was L.A. Bill (don't know his last name but he came up from V.K.).

Next was Bubba Ward, the screamer.

The third soloist who I think you are referring to was Steve Warfield. I say that because he never played the same solo twice but L.A. Bill may have also been ad-libbing.

L.A. Bill was Bill Turner. After SCV, Bill came back to VK and was brass caption and arranger in 1979.

Garry in Vegas

According to "A Portait of Sammy" the song "Out of the Night" was simply an alternate title for the original "Dark Orchid".

Yep, Dark Orchid

We played that in HS Jazz. We had a smokin' band my senior year. I tried to get all the brass players to join but they decided not to. We had a lead player that was All State Wind and Jazz. Now that I think about it, if we got the brass players from my HS and the brass players from Niagara Wheatfield HS..WOW, maybe we would have lasted longer. One guy is a studio trupet player in LA (Chris Tedesco). Oh well...woulds, coulda, shoulda.

The Nestico chart was hot, I wonder if it is still being published? Hey Jazz guys & gals check Carl Stromann's "The Opener."