When Band's Do Corps Shows

Little backround story:

This year, my marching band is doing a show based on one of my band director's favorite shows: 1992 Santa Clara Vanguard's Fiddler on the Roof. Great corps show and (suprisingly enough) not a bad band show, either. I'm fairly happy with it, though we're hardly the Santa Clara Vanguard of this decade or any.

Now, though I'm a "bando" and I've never marched corps, I see myself as a bit of a drum corps purist. That usually means I cringe everytime I hear bands try to do drum corps shows.

So, how do you feel about marching band's take drum corps shows and make 'em their own. What's your favorite band corps show? What's your least favorite?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our band had the tendency to rip note-for-note from Cadets shows, probably because we had the same arranger. We did Ballet Sacra in 2002 and used an arrangement very close to Cadets 1993, and we used the almost exact arrangement of Young Person's Guide in Cadets 2001 for our 2003 show, complete with the introduction.

The competition that my band competed at last Saturday had a band that did A Drum Corps Fan's Dream (Madison Scouts 1995) minus La Danza Pasillo . I didn't get to see it from the stands (my band was next up). They did pretty well. Cut almost all of the solos, though, just left the solos in Concierto. Hornline didn't really do it justice, but I guess that's expected. Percussion however, was incredible. Pit sounded like the original, especially when warming up in the lot. Battery was a little muddy, but still good, seeing as they played pretty much the original arrangement. Different take on the ending.

Overall I liked it. The hornline needs to open up and play their horns though.

I'm doing Niagara Falls right now.

As long as I never come back from corps to play the same stuff, I'm fine.

A school in my town is doing Scherezade, almost note for note.

Well, all I can say is it's no Vanguard '04...

I'm doing Niagara Falls right now.

As long as I never come back from corps to play the same stuff, I'm fine.

Kennesaw Mountain?

Anyway, I think it's funny when bands rip off an entire show. That just shows lack of creativity. I think it's ok to steal a movement or so, but if its the entire thing, no good.

We did Danza Finale at my high school last year, pretty close to the 93 Regiment version. And we did a crab-stepping wedge. *shiver* At least we didn't try and do a spin.

A school in my town is doing Scherezade, almost note for note.

Well, all I can say is it's no Vanguard '04...

Yes that's right. When Key Poulan arranges a show for drum corps, (he arranged SCV '04), he also arranges that show for marching band after the drum corps season is over. That's why they sound the same.

Kennesaw Mountain?

Yep.

It's just 2nd movement, and it's really only the beginning of 2000 Cavies to the company front-ish hit a minute or so in.