When Band's Do Corps Shows

Much slower, much smaller, and 1/2 freshmen.

I haven't thought real hard about guard to tell you the truth...

I'm the trumpet in the ballad duet though alongside a good Euphonium-playing friend of mine... too bad he wears cream instead of baby blue... :P jk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh...Kennesaw Mountain. What's the dialogue for this year's show? ^0^

"IT'S SO HOT!!!!! WHY DO WE HAVE TO DO THIS!?!?!? CAN'T I GET SOME WATER!?????!?!?!??!?!"

Much slower, much smaller, and 1/2 freshmen.

I haven't thought real hard about guard to tell you the truth...

I'm the trumpet in the ballad duet though alongside a good Euphonium-playing friend of mine... too bad he wears cream instead of baby blue... :P jk

Oh nice. I really liked Mark's solo though. That and chubbz. What is with the 2nd euph that comes a long though? he was just pointing at the ground.

And hroth I agree about the narration :P

Oh nice. I really liked Mark's solo though. That and chubbz. What is with the 2nd euph that comes a long though? he was just pointing at the ground.

And hroth I agree about the narration :P

"My four years in band were the best! I made so many new friends and had so many life-changing experiences!"

No really, what is the theme of the show and how does the accompanying narrative tell the story?

"My four years in band were the best! I made so many new friends and had so many life-changing experiences!"

No really, what is the theme of the show and how does the accompanying narrative tell the story?

Haha, let's not turn this into a narration thread though.

Kennesaw has always had a good baritone line though. I loooove it.

We played SCV's 1990 show note for note minus their closer. Our arranger somehow acquired their brass scores and just changed the key to suit the Bb/F horns. The woodwind parts were simply doubling the brass parts. Our hornline was also the exact same size as their brass line that year. 68. The first 5 or so sets were identical to the SCV drill. I played trombone that year, marching what was a contra bass spot. It was as lame back then as it is today.

When I'm with the band I currently work for every time we hear a note for note rip of a corps show it elicits a collective groan, no matter how well done it may be.

That being said, while watching some Thanksgiving parade on TV in the fall of '95 it was pretty cool to hear a band playing our arrangement of Stormworks. I guess it was kind of like when Nirvana heard that Weird Al did a parody of one of their songs and they took that to mean that they "really made it" in the industry.

We had a very good year with a pretty darn close arrangment (though granted, at maybe 2/3rds the tempo, and I don't know about the key) of Channel One Suite one year. Of course, I'm sure we were far from the first band to use that one, so I'm not sure if it was really culled from BD or not. Probably not. Oh well, it was fun to play!

Edited by troon8

Adair County, last year's 3A champion in Kentucky, is doing Cavies 2006.

Haven't heard it yet, so I can't really comment on it.

Kennesaw has four guys that have marched crown, two of those for four years, and another two that made it but couldn't end up marching...

Probably a little bit more than other bands...

I personally don't like it when a band directly rips note for note and even tries to mimic some of the drill too. But I have no problem with a band making it their own. I've seen a few bands out here in Iowa doing from Blue Devils shows, and some Madison shows as well. And they rewrote the solos and altered the music to fit their abilities rather than try to hack through the really hard stuff the Corps did like some bands do. To sum up, I can respect a band doing the same corps show as long as the band CAN do the show.