When Band's Do Corps Shows

Marching Band show my 7th grade year (my brother's sophomore year): A Mis Abuelos (Madison 96 rip), Cuban Overture (Scouts 94 rip), One More Time Chuck Corea (BD a lot of years rip)

8th Grade: Madison 92 rip - they played Prologue and Theme, With Ev'ry Breath I Take, Funny

Freshmen year: T.O. (BD 82 rip), Pegasus (BD 82 rip), Malaguena (Madison 96 rip)

Sophomore year: Happy Days Are Here Again (BD 88), That Old Black Magic (BD 88), Harlem Nocturne (BD 87), Since I Fell For You (BD 89).

Junior year: new band director... so junior and senior year we just played generic key poulan and jay bocook arrangements.

I mean, in retrospect it was kind of stupid... if I saw a band doing this nowadays it probably would've irritated me, but those shows were a hell of a lot of fun to play, and the crowd loved them, and it educated me when it comes to drum corps... I prefer that approach to the "cookie-cutter show score" that a lot of bands take today, basically using Bocook and Poulan exclusively.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I really groan is when the band's 'level of competency' leaves a lot to be desired and it's obivous that they've reached a little far for their ability level.

One of the bands in our area is doing the Cavies 007 show and I just groaned when I heard that they picked the show. Not a good choice for their group.

I mean, KM playing Niagra Falls, that's fine by me. I'll look forward to seeing it at Grand Nats.

But if a band plays a show and after seeing/hearing it I absolutely need to pop out the DVD and revisit the show so I can get the 'badness' cleared from my head, then, well, probably not a good choice for that group.

I think lots of directors think that by choosing a corps show it makes the show as a whole 'that much better' and that it will require less creativity/effort to pull together.

Similarly, the college group I work with sometimes plays stuff (which most every D-1 college band does, esp if they have to go the 'new show every home game route') which is a little above the level of the members (I'm sorry but a band full of non-majors at a Top 25 University aren't Arturo Sandoval) and I keep the 'real version' of the music in my car that week so I can listen to it on my way home to 'cleanse the pallate'.

So, the short version is . . . can your group make a run at a BoA Regional? If so, go right ahead, play anything you want.

The one corps show I would probably like to attempt at some point is the Millenium Celebration show (Cadets 2000) and put a 'show concept' around it.

Edited by UNCGQ

The one corps show I would probably like to attempt at some point is the Millenium Celebration show (Cadets 2000) and put a 'show concept' around it.

Sooooooooo many bands in the northeast did that show a year later. Man, it was everywhere.

Yeah, I think that's the one thing that keeps me from running from it is that it hasn't been overly exposed in my area.

If I heard a show a thousand times from a thousand differenct bands I'd def run from it . . .

(If I ever hear one more show having anything to do with pirates in any way shape or form I might just off myself right there in the stands).

p.s. thanks for your 'movitational poster' style sig line . . . I think of it often . . . "Elephants . . . larger than the moon"

Edited by UNCGQ

Yeah, I think that's the one thing that keeps me from running from it is that it hasn't been overly exposed in my area.

If I heard a show a thousand times from a thousand differenct bands I'd def run from it . . .

(If I ever hear one more show having anything to do with pirates in any way shape or form I might just off myself right there in the stands).

p.s. thanks for your 'movitational poster' style sig line . . . I think of it often . . . "Elephants . . . larger than the moon"

Oh man so true. I wish more bands here would discover that classical music sounds good on the field when arranged well. Thankfully in my county it's not bad. The two competitive bands stick to good music. One is doing "The Firebird" this year and the other is playing music by Camille Saen Sans. Much better then overdone pirate music or canned shows that you see at least 10 bands do every year.

I counted at the USSBA finals last year, 4 of the 16 bands did it. Ouuuch. Chaos on training wheels! Woo! Badace. :P Sorry couldn't resist!

Not exactly drum corps...but in 02 there were 2 different competitions my band was at where the band before us and the band after played both Appalachian Spring and American Faces. Different bands at each competition.

Oh yeah...

We played them too.

How about going backwards?

Some shows I marched...

The closer from BK 03 was taken from BK's winter percussion a few years before (99?) History of Flight I think it was?

Dance Derby of the Century (bd05) was redeveloped form a show Scott Chandler wrote for James Logan's winter guard a few years ago (sorry, I forget which years...)...

In 02 my high school did Eric Whitacre's Ghost Train (terribly)... in 04, supposedly some of the closer was based on Ghost Train :angry: no idea what part... (maybe the part after the megaphones and percussion accel...)

In 99 my high school did Firebird... this year, supposedly part of our show was based on Firebird... (shrugs) Again, no idea, but the announcer's said it all season :angry:

My favorite marching band show my senior year (because we were so bad, we got to see a LOT of other bands at competitions...) was one group that played pretty much note for note (well... theoretically) BD's Tommy show.

In 02 my high school did Eric Whitacre's Ghost Train (terribly)... in 04, supposedly some of the closer was based on Ghost Train :angry: no idea what part... (maybe the part after the megaphones and percussion accel...)

IMO it is OK to do pieces corps have done, just make sure they are arranged for the band, not just copied from a corps. IO arranged Ghost Train for the band I work with (winds and percussion) for 2005...we won USSBA II Open NJ States and All-states with it. I went to the score and wrote it without regard for what any corps may have done with the number. Same thing this year...most of our show is Gillingham's "Stained Glass", but I created my charts from the original, not a corps version.

I mean, KM playing Niagra Falls, that's fine by me. I'll look forward to seeing it at Grand Nats.

:doh: KM isn't going to Grand Nats this year. They are doing 2 regionals this year, St. Petersburg - this w/e and Atlanta the 27th.

They have 50% freshmen this year, I'm not sure they would be ready for Grand Nats. :doh::doh: