Open Class(DII/III) questions

I was just reading the article on DCI how they are planning on changing DII/III to be called open class. If I understood the article correctly, they are planning to allow any corps in good standing to compete in World Class(DI) Quarterfinals. Can anyone give more information on this topic, or am I understanding this right?

I really like this idea, as I think it made quarterfinals more fun with more corps, and seeing a few upsets here and there.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's OK...I was assured that when Open Class decided to call their Preliminary competition "Quarterfinals" there would be no confusion.

If it's in Michigan City, it's Open Class Prelims...excuse me Quarter Finals.

If it's in Indianapolis, it's World Class Quarter Finals (as it's always been).

Clear as mud?

It's OK...I was assured that when Open Class decided to call their Preliminary competition "Quarterfinals" there would be no confusion.

If it's in Michigan City, it's Open Class Prelims...excuse me Quarter Finals.

If it's in Indianapolis, it's World Class Quarter Finals (as it's always been).

Clear as mud?

So much negative energy.

So little time.

I was assured that there would be a lot of DCI hate here (as it's always been).

Crystal clear.

I better read that article again, I must have missed that part !! :doh::rolleyes::huh:

Hey, I wrote it and I missed that part.

To the original poster...No, Open Class corps will not be competing in World Class Quarterfinals. Their Quarterfinals are on Tuesday in Michigan City (party at my house ten miles away) and their Semifinals and Finals are the same days (Friday and Saturday) as the World Class shows of the same name.

This is how the Open Class directors want it. I hope you get to see them in competition. They put on a great show and more people need to know about them and come out and support them.

And I'm a vegetarian, so anyone coming to my house the day before Michigan City's show (I'll be heading down to I&E on Wednesday) will need to bring their own burgers and hot dogs for the bar-be-que. Come to think about it, they'll have to bring their own grill as well. Heck, why not just take me out to dinner in Michigan City and make it easier on me?

So much negative energy.

So little time.

I was assured that there would be a lot of DCI hate here (as it's always been).

Crystal clear.

What are you talking about. I was making fun of the whole thing actually. Everyone keeps saying how people won't be confused, yet, since this has been announced, many people on DCP (most likely the most knowledgable drum corps community) keep asking whether the Opens are going to appear at Quarterfinals.

I just think it's funny. It reminds me of doing parades back 12-13 years ago with PRC and we had an old Regiment truck. It had the old mask and said Phantom Regiment on each side. We had blue uniforms and a big banner saying Phantom Regiment Cadets but it didn't matter. I would hear people over and over on the parade route remark how small the Phantom Regiment looked....and so young. I would crack up.

Marketing 101 - If you give consumers an opportunity to be confused, they will take you up on it.

I think Div 2/3 died when they were not allowed to compete with Div 1. I remember WAY BACK IN THE DAY when I marched 98-99 that they could earn their way into the Div 1 finals structure and knock out Div 1 Corps. EX. Magic 2000 going all the way to finals as a Div 2 corps. I wish that they would bring back that system because there are a lot of "open class corps" that are better than some of the "world class corps" which makes the titles "OPEN and WORLD" look stupid. EX: If Spartans could beat Pioneer in a contest then why should you call Pioneer "WORLD CLASS" if the lower "OPEN CLASS" is clearly better? I am not trying to knock any drumcorps down but that is how it used to be. In 99 there were 4 or 5 Div 2/3 corps in quarter finals. Changing the name of the classes doesn't change the structure of the compitition and there for doesn't matter. How many years were the "lower class corps" allowed to make their way into Div 1 final's structure? I will give you the answer (A LOT) There was a time when the top 21 was something special and the A60 and A90 Corps could make their way in. To me this is just another way for DCI to protect the lower placing "World Class Corps" from getting their feelings hurt by the low level non competent "Open Class Corps." (note the sarcasim) Lets compete on a level playing field and make every corps responsible for what it brings to the table. Well enough of my rambling, lets see what other people think.

Will drum corps ever be about music agian instead of GE,

(I can only hope)

Mark Gonnerman

I think Div 2/3 died when they were not allowed to compete with Div 1. I remember WAY BACK IN THE DAY when I marched 98-99 that they could earn their way into the Div 1 finals structure and knock out Div 1 Corps. EX. Magic 2000 going all the way to finals as a Div 2 corps. I wish that they would bring back that system because there are a lot of "open class corps" that are better than some of the "world class corps" which makes the titles "OPEN and WORLD" look stupid. EX: If Spartans could beat Pioneer in a contest then why should you call Pioneer "WORLD CLASS" if the lower "OPEN CLASS" is clearly better? I am not trying to knock any drumcorps down but that is how it used to be. In 99 there were 4 or 5 Div 2/3 corps in quarter finals. Changing the name of the classes doesn't change the structure of the compitition and there for doesn't matter. How many years were the "lower class corps" allowed to make their way into Div 1 final's structure? I will give you the answer (A LOT) There was a time when the top 21 was something special and the A60 and A90 Corps could make their way in. To me this is just another way for DCI to protect the lower placing "World Class Corps" from getting their feelings hurt by the low level non competent "Open Class Corps." (note the sarcasim) Lets compete on a level playing field and make every corps responsible for what it brings to the table. Well enough of my rambling, lets see what other people think.

Will drum corps ever be about music agian instead of GE,

(I can only hope)

Mark Gonnerman

Or it could be that DCI wants you to actually show up to an Open Division show, and buy an Open Division ticket, and no longer get a "free-ride" by watching the top Open Division corps without having to go to their show.

I agree about music>GE, but it isn't about "getting feelings hurt". This is about some corps being mature organizations and putting on national tours, and some that are not there. If you're gonna pick on Pioneer, let me say this -- they earned their way up, and they have consistently put a national tour on with kids having a great experience. That's why they remain in World Division, end of story.

It doesn't matter what's on the field. The divisions are about organizational differences more than anything else. If you want corps to compete together again, start showing up to Open shows. If the audience shows that it'll buy both tickets, it may happen again. Until then, it's silly to even discuss this. It will never happen so long as attendance for Open is this low, period.

What was the reasoning for DCI in the first place to get rid of the DIV 2/3 Corps in the DIV 1 Finals structure after it had been that way for over 20 years? You can't say it was because of ticket sales at the DIV 2/3 Shows. What they have done IMO is set up finals week so even less people will go see the "Open Class Corps" When I marched that what you did on Tuesday and Wed. Now they put them early in the morning of the "World Class Shows" and even less people go. And yes I think what you do on the field should be what matters not how you tour. EX: Spartans could do a big national tour if they wanted and do it better than most all "World Class Corps" But they don't want to and that should be up to them. I just think they should be able to compete agianst the "WORLD CLASS CORPS" like they could for over 20 years.

Mark

What are you talking about. I was making fun of the whole thing actually. Everyone keeps saying how people won't be confused, yet, since this has been announced, many people on DCP (most likely the most knowledgable drum corps community) keep asking whether the Opens are going to appear at Quarterfinals.

I just think it's funny. It reminds me of doing parades back 12-13 years ago with PRC and we had an old Regiment truck. It had the old mask and said Phantom Regiment on each side. We had blue uniforms and a big banner saying Phantom Regiment Cadets but it didn't matter. I would hear people over and over on the parade route remark how small the Phantom Regiment looked....and so young. I would crack up.

Marketing 101 - If you give consumers an opportunity to be confused, they will take you up on it.

Corpsvalues, don't worry about it. Tom was directing that post to me.

TOM! Listen, of course there might be some confusion NOW! This whole thing was JUST implimented. But do you really think people are going to be confused in August? Do you really? Are you really concerned that somebody is going to make the mistake of showing up to MICHIGAN CITY thinking they are at the World Class Quarterfinals? Do you? Come on!

Edited by dsb2007