Open Class(DII/III) questions

Quick question:

Has this decision been finalized yet?

yes, yes it has.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's that unique. It could have happened with Academy in 2006. And back in 2000 SCV Cadets made top 17. But I agree that it won't ever be duplicated, as long as the Open corps are shut out of World quarters. I think DCI (i.e. the World Class corps) like it this way because they don't want to be shown up by corps that don't tour extensively, and they want to keep the top 21 corps limited to World corps, rather than allow an Open corps director voting on critical issues like amps and electronics.

(we're both using the word "unique" incorrectly, it's not a relative term) :rolleyes:

Academy would have been a semifinalist at best in 2006. I saw them for most of their appearances and all week in Madison. They had no guard work at all...and their visual work made me sleepy. What they had was a killer hornline. That's it. A killer hornline. One portion of what they needed to be a finalist corps. And the proof is in 07. They finished out of finals by the way...in what I would consider a weaker year from 11-16 than '06.

And DCI World Class corps will number 25 next season if Cap Reg comes back and Surf and Spartans make the jump. I think DCI should either limit the voting rights to Top 12 corps or open them to all 25, that's my assessment of the voting situation. Twenty one is such a random arbitrary number.

Yes, I imagine this is the case as well. But the description(s) that Boo has laid out in this thread might be taken to indicate otherwise -- I mean Open means "Open" right :), so I was hoping for a DEFINITIVE answer -- plus I just like to be confused by Mr. Boo ^0^

Well, you're succeeding beyond your wildest expectations. :)

I would rather have everybody go on the field for a Prelims on Wednesday or Quarterfinals on Thursday. I also think it is quite silly to call Div I "World Class", which presumably is superior to "Open Class", which is what they were called BEFORE the Div I designation was created. So, somehow, after years as Div I, they have ascended to "World Class" status and Div II/III are the new "Open Class" corps. Why not call them "Major League Drum Corps" and let Div II/III be "Open Class" still, so it can be like when the Pacific Coast League wanted to be a major league, but weren't allowed on the field with the big boys.

Do mini-corps become "Class A" now or "A-60"?

Edited by Tekneek

Based on Mikes post guessing above is a typo or unclear wording. Also guessing "in good standing" means any corps that passes the DCI approval process. Not like DCA where some corps did their first competition of the year (or first show ever in at least one case) at DCA Prelims.

I wish it worked like that with DCI. For scheduling reasons, it makes sense that they would need to be informed in advance of your intention to compete. However, arbitrarily limiting the competitive field never made much sense to me. Looking over score archives, which might be incomplete, it seems to me that there were corps over the years that may have only competed in a handful of shows all summer (including going to DCI Championships). I would surmise that they have not always had "tour requirements" placed upon the corps or other restrictions that kept them from beating bigger and more established corps.

I'm sorry for any confusion, but the paragraph and entire article was about Open Class, so I didn't think I needed to risk confusing the issue any further. The reference is to Open Class Quarterfinals only. Any corps in good standing means any corps eligible can come to Quarterfinals, whether or not they could be in any other shows prior to Quarterfinals. International Corps compete in their own class if they have membership issues different than DCI's, mostly related to age cut-offs. But if a corps wanted to teleport in from Neptune and was in good standing and wished to compete in Open Class Quarterfinals, if they registered in time, the show would be open to them.

Would the age of the Neptune-Corps members be measured in Earth years or Neptune years? DCI needs to clarify this before we get into another Bridgemen 77 situation, where the real winners were the lawyers.

Would the age of the Neptune-Corps members be measured in Earth years or Neptune years? DCI needs to clarify this before we get into another Bridgemen 77 situation, where the real winners were the lawyers.

Besides that, how would anybody know whether a corps was in good standing? I'm curious what qualification process is involved. The Neptunian corps is likely to operate on a completely different financial system.

Edited by Tekneek

I still think they should go with the Sunday prelims, Monday semis and Tuesday Finals schedule !!! :beer::beer:

Give the kids to have their own "NIGHT FINALS UNDER THE LIGHTS" for a change !!! :beer::beer::beer:

Before the vast majority of fans get into town? How would THAT go over? Hardly anyone would be there on Sunday or Monday because most people are not going to stay an entire week. The current set-up gives the corps the best chance of playing for an audience. I'd hate to take the Tuesday audience for Quarterfinals and tell the kids, "Hey, this is your audience for Finals."

Again, this i sthe decision of the directors of those very corps, not the directors of the World Class units. This is what they want. I've got to trust them that they know their niche better than I do. They're the ones spilling there sweat to make it happen.

If the Neptune corps went International Class, it wouldn't have to worry about the age limit.

I can assure you if a corps from Neptune were to show up to compete at the DCI World Championships (the DCI Intergallactic Championships?), concern about their age in Earth or Neptune years would be the SMALLEST story on the evening news.

Before the vast majority of fans get into town? How would THAT go over? Hardly anyone would be there on Sunday or Monday because most people are not going to stay an entire week. The current set-up gives the corps the best chance of playing for an audience. I'd hate to take the Tuesday audience for Quarterfinals and tell the kids, "Hey, this is your audience for Finals."

Again, this i sthe decision of the directors of those very corps, not the directors of the World Class units. This is what they want. I've got to trust them that they know their niche better than I do. They're the ones spilling there sweat to make it happen.

Couple this with DCI not being able to rent Lucas Stadium from Sunday to the following Saturday.