2008 Final$ package ticket price preview

That's what I was trying to say in my earlier post. I purchased super premium tickets for finals this year the day they came out. We ended up on the 15 yard line...not exactly the best place for that "in your face" hornline action.

And I am not going to travel 1500+ miles and pay for super-duper-great-dog-diggity premium seats that are going to put me on the 10 or 15 yard line.

I have paid $300 a ticket for Wicked orchestra seats on Broadway, so it's not like I am unwilling to shell out money for attending a show...however, it's just that I don't think DCI is worth what it thinks it is. The prices DCI is asking for I am not willing to pay...but DCI could be right. Maybe I'm the crazy one and people will be willing to pay that much to ensure great seats at finals. Time will tell.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it so blantently obvious with the comments here alone...

...are given much more weight than they deserve? Yes. For every person who is "priced out", there's probably 2 more ready to give it a go at the new digs for the higher price. Those people aren't whining.

You know, most of the fans of both teams are priced out of the Superbowl. That includes season ticket holders. Often the game is more expensive than their season package, and those that are lucky enough to score the tickets often sell them anyhow. The point is that if you have it figured out, you're not doing the math.

30,000 *$30 = 900,000

20,000 *$50 = 1,000,000 -- plus the potential to sell another $500,000 worth.

It's a simple curve by which only one constant applies, and that's total available seats. You can sell between 0 and 30,000 seats, and at any price, but based on those two variables, they need to maximize revenue.

You can sell them all at $5, and you make $150,000. Guaranteed sellout. You can sell them at $1000, and guarantee a small audience, probably 300, getting you to $300,000. Obviously, there's somewhere in-between where more money comes in.

Anyhow, DCI is under an obligation generally to maximize their income from the event. Unsold seats might be a part of the equation, and somewhat higher prices, too. What matters is the $$ that come in the door, period.

There is a lot more fame/money/corporate dollars going towards football than DCI. Perhaps they (DCI) can maximize their revenue this way...but the demographic base is a hell of a lot smaller than football.

Drum Corps is a niche activity at best. Maybe DCI can make this work. Good for them if they can. I just don't think it's worth the price of admission...and I am a pretty hard core drum corps fan.

Come off it...DCI is NOT the Super Bowl. I am afraid the ivory tower mentality of DCI has just priced tickets out of the price range of a lot of their market. I would like to do the whole package; but I am NOT paying 200+ dollars to do so. \

Not good business sense IMO. <**>

Absolutely correct! This is corporate greed at it's worst. Climb down off your ivory tower DCI, contrary to what you may believe, "drum corps" is not Broadway! Not even close!

There is a lot more fame/money/corporate dollars going towards football than DCI. Perhaps they (DCI) can maximize their revenue this way...but the demographic base is a hell of a lot smaller than football.

Drum Corps is a niche activity at best. Maybe DCI can make this work. Good for them if they can. I just don't think it's worth the price of admission...and I am a pretty hard core drum corps fan.

That is fine, there is no rule that says every drum corps fan has to be able to afford a trip to finals week.

Absolutely correct! This is corporate greed at it's worst. Climb down off your ivory tower DCI, contrary to what you may believe, "drum corps" is not Broadway! Not even close!

First you should climb down off your pedestal where you think that you have a right to pay what you want to pay for tickets

I don't know if this has been stated already, I can't seem to remember since all of the sadness and whining is like music to my ears, but...

You are seriously complaining about a five ticket package costing UNDER $300 dollars?

That can be broken down this way

$30 for Open Class Prelims

$35 dollars for Open Class Finals

$50 for Quarters

$75 for Semis

And $100 for Finals

Not one of these prices is out of line, period.

Oh yeah, $290. Those are the MOST EXPENSIVE SEATS!

Buy a cheaper package, go to a local show, or the theater, or even a DCA show.

In the end, it is a moot point anyways...

If you cannot afford to pay that for five shows worth of entertainment, then you cannot afford to take off of work for a week either.

Ok, I wasn't going to bother posting any further on this topic, because I felt I'd said my piece and I know what they say about arguing on the internet. But I'm the NC Dad who made the comment that seems to have offended the most people on this thread.

To those of you who may want to burn me at the stake, I'm a Dad who is trying to pay the bills and do the best I can for my family. Once I get the house and other bills paid, I pay the band fees, the Disney trip fees, I pull the band trailer (at my own expense), I work at every fund raising event, I work in the pit at every football game and every contest, and that's just part of the list. I'm not saying I'm unique or deserve a medal or that there aren't a ton of others who do just as much. There just comes a time when you reach your limits and unfortunately the comments I made were made on a day when I had a lot on my plate. I'm not making excuses, just stating the facts.

There have been some good suggestions that were made (tactics for potentially seeing Quarters or Semis) that I will follow. I appreciate those suggestions, even though I didn't take the chance to say so earlier.

I apologize to those I offended. The comment about paying for others entertainment was more abrasive than I ever intended.

Jeff

edit: A final clarification, I'm not going to not send my kid out this summer, simply based on how finals tickets prices affect me. I just think it sucks that I will potentially miss some of his best performances.

Edited by khokhonutt

I don't know if this has been stated already, I can't seem to remember since all of the sadness and whining is like music to my ears, but...

You are seriously complaining about a five ticket package costing UNDER $300 dollars?

In the end, it is a moot point anyways...

If you cannot afford to pay that for five shows worth of entertainment, then you cannot afford to take off of work for a week either.

Mephistopheles, if you run for mayor of the DCP, I will vote for you, and encourage my friends do to so as well.

Well, based on this opinion, at least! :P

First you should climb down off your pedestal where you think that you have a right to pay what you want to pay for tickets

We WERE members of Friends of DCI. In fact, this summer we took seven of our friends to semi finals. We even hired a limo to drive up to and from the Rose Bowl so we could all party and enjoy ourselves. This all cost me a substantial sum as I paid for everything. After receiving this over priced form from DCI, we have decided not to renew our membership. Next time, think before you level any unjustified criticism at anyone.

By the way, the majority of our friends, most of which were non drum corps people, seemed to enjoy the Kingsmen Alumni Corps most of all. Most said they would not do it again as, for the most part, they were rather bored. So again, Broadway it is NOT!!