2008 Final$ package ticket price preview

Can't they see the obvious?... that this is powerful evidence that the music that corps are playing these days simply is not compelling on its own anymore. Playing snippets of melody here and there, chopped into little pieces, may work ok for supporting a visual masterpiece. But as music, people just - er - aren't going to buy it. I've stopped buying the CDs for this reason. If the music were as exciting as it used to be, of course I'd still be buying them.

There's no evidence whatsoever. As others have said, it's a shift in formats. How much does DCI pay to sell files online vs. offline (CDs)? It's obviously less.

Lower cost, immediate turn-around. No brainer. I still remember that it wasn't long ago that you would get your CDs oh, about Turkey Day.

Now you can have it the day of the show, on your ipod. I'd say it's more about stepping forward, but still doing the CD for folks like you. But since you don't want it anymore, why do an audio physical product at all?

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...which is cool, but hopefully when they go completely CD free, there's a discount option for buying Top 12/17 etc...the CD's actually turn out to be the cheaper option rather than buying 12 APD's right now. :worthy:

I think you'll see some bigger changes if they go all digital. WMA is fading IMO. As a product, I think they're actually leaving some money on the table being ultra-a-la-carte. Personally, I'd like to see $12-$15 a show, and you get all the shows. For Finals, I think there's a market for mp3 and for stuff us audiophiles want, like m4a at high rates - perfection straight to your ipod.

As for all the ticket #####ing and moaning, I feel really bad for people who feel like they can't afford certain things. I thought it was comical when someone said they flew to Pasadena, but couldn't make it to Indy... the ticket prices are such a minor difference given hotel/travel.

In fact, with all of the hotels around, it could actually be an inexpensive trip. Get a hotel out of downtown for $50/night instead of Pasadena/LA prices. Fly to Midway on Southwest and drive in. Skip the Saturday show. There's lots you can do. But if it's the price of the ticket that puts you off, you're really not looking at the whole trip fairly. Most people from out of the area will spend 3- to 5-times or more on the rest of the trip versus tickets. In the grand scheme, it seems like a minor change, but maybe it's enough to put someone out of it. It's economics, I know.

But there's no shame in DCI asking for what they're worth. If the stadium fills like it probably will, well, that's a good thing for DCI. They're more obligated to make money for the corps than they are obligated to make the activity "affordable", quoted for its relativity anyhow.

The gate receipts need to be maxed out. Period. Anything less is bad business, and unfortunately, it means paying what the entertainment is worth.

I think you'll see some bigger changes if they go all digital. WMA is fading IMO. As a product, I think they're actually leaving some money on the table being ultra-a-la-carte. Personally, I'd like to see $12-$15 a show, and you get all the shows. For Finals, I think there's a market for mp3 and for stuff us audiophiles want, like m4a at high rates - perfection straight to your ipod.

:worthy::doh: Yeah, I would spring at these price points, too.

:worthy::doh: Yeah, I would spring at these price points, too.

Ya... I could see something like $35 for all World shows, maybe $25 for Finalists, $45 for everything. 8 corps shows in July, forget the individual stuff, and just sell it at $12-$15.

I don't know what they have to pay for licensing, but that's not cheap -- in fact, I'd say that's the biggest concern with overall cost.

Edited by drumcat

But they don't get to see their seat assignments until the tickets are mailed, usually sometime around February.

That is if probably the biggest reason why this sucks and shouldn't have had it at a venue that is in construction and a HUGE lack of logistics. STUPID!! <**> <**> <**>

But they don't get to see their seat assignments until the tickets are mailed, usually sometime around February.

That is if probably the biggest reason why this sucks and shouldn't have had it at a venue that is in construction and a HUGE lack of logistics. STUPID!! <**> <**> <**>

Call up DCI and let them know then. I'm sure they are in need of more arm-chair business analysts

If you read it again, you'll see I was talking about Friends of DCI for 2008 and every other past year to date, Zeke. But it is probably true for preorders on FANtastic 5 through DCI this year, too, yes. If you don't like it, take your chances with scalpers or eBay or other sources where you can see exactly where your seats are before you pay. You can rant and rave all you want, but it isn't going to change anything now.

Edited by Peel Paint