Now that it's "World/Open class"

Ageout cutoff extension  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that in following in WGI's footsteps, DCI should also extend the age cutoff?

• Yes
    • No

It took me a few years of All-age corps to find the instrument that was "right" for me, which led to my switching instruments year after year. The previous combined with my somewhat "immature" perspective of "Its the top 10 or nothing" attitude I carried throughout my teenage years has thus left me with a void in life which is "now that im 21, I'll never march DCI...." This has led me to the question-

WGI's age cutoff is higher that DCI, and why is this such? Im sure there are a lot of "students" that don't find DCI until college, thus lessening their chances to march. Now that DCI has followed in WGI's footsteps and created "classes" do you think that it would be wise of them to extend the age limit?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WGI has no age limit at the World class level. If DCI did the same it would be.....DCA.

I would love them to extend the age limit. I think it would be great for it to be extended to 23. Most high schools (around here at least) start school before DCI finals, and end school after move-ins. Plus, missing band camp for high school kids is usually not a good idea to the band directors. For me, I was only given the oppurtunity to march 3 summers. College is also hard on those who want to march because of money issues. I think if the age out limit were increased, it would give college students more oppurtunities to march and not have to go into debt.

I can't wait to watch the Houston Band Directors Drum and Bugle Corps take on the State of Florida Educators A Corps.

Drum corps is fun. Drum corps hurts. Drum corps is bad for your body. Drum corps gives you a chance to experience things that otherwise you never would...

... but there's more to life than drum corps.

No cut off age in WGI? Is that correct? I thought there was one? Can't find the rules on the website.

There's no age limit for WGI Independent World Colorguard.

There's still an age-limit for Independent World Percussion.

You can march as long as you're not 23 before April 1st. So you can age-out at 23 if you turn 23 on or after April 1st.

I wouldn't mind DCI matching the percussion age rule, but I think there should still be a limit.

oops, I'm a percussionist, so I just assumed that the cutoff age for guard was that of percussion, didn't realize they were different. I guess the old saying goes, when something is assumed one makes an "-----" out of you and me......

Edited by xtreme0204