Moe Knox - A True Legend on Drum Corps Photograpyh

This topic was initially generated from a review of the great photos NanciD's been taking of late, and I commented that she could make a profession out of doing this, where I said that she could give Moe Knox a "run for his money"!! Little did I know until "Scarlet Knight" replied that Moe is probably going to retire from taking Corps photos. So I was wondering, what situation or show you were in that Moe took a photo of you, that really "knocked your socks off"!!?? Mine were the photos Moe took of me "floating" my contra in the swimming pool (a football rammed up the bell), taken at Camp Palmer, Derby Conn. back in 1966 when I was on the East Coast tour with the Des Plaines Vanguard. So yours are.................?? :angry: :sshh: :angry:

PS to Moe: To quote Bob Hope - Moe, "Thanks for the Memories"!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Edited by Vanguard Rich

my personal favorite would be a picture of the DCA corps members playing the National Anthem at the opening of DCI Finals in Foxboro, in August, 1994. :)

though thinking about it, i probably have close to 100 pictures of his at home. each and every one of them holds tremendous meaning and memories.

There are several shots that Moe has taken of our drumline that show me pretty clearly. Two in particular from 31 years ago that I now own, I never even knew existed until a few years ago are special to me. I was able to buy them about nine years ago when Moe brought out some of the old proof sheets from his vast inventory at an alumni show.

The first: Our drumline in concert at my very first contest with the Cabs: June 11, 1966 in Longbrook Park, Stratford Connecticut at the Connecticut Yankees' 'Parade of Champions.'

The second: A closeup of the line at my very first American Legion Nationals, August 28, 1966 in then DC, now RFK Stadium in Washington, which we won.

In both cases, the pictures' main focus was on Hawthorne's famed first timbale player Bobby Hoffman, whom many know better for his days as the Bridgemen drill designer and staff member. Obviously, I treasure them for my own sentimental reasons. I'm the baby-faced kid who had the privilege to play bongos that year, alongside a drum corps legend and learn much from him.

HAHA ... besides Moe's great serious pictures of many fine corps, he also had a knack of catching the most embarrassing moments on the field ... my two favorite shots in this case have to be pics that were featured in almost every issue of DCN in various ads in the mid-60's: 1) Peggy Stirk, Bpt PAL Color Guard Captain standing at attention with pertfect sabre postion - unfortunately her shako (one of the extra tall ones) had slipped down over her head onto her shoulders ... she had to be led off the field by the rifles; 2) the infamous shot of the kid from the Smithtown Freelancers whose pants had come undone in the exit - horn in one hand and holding up his pants with the other while in full stride!

Andy "I was at both shows when it happened" Lisko

HAHA ... besides Moe's great serious pictures of many fine corps, he also had a knack of catching the most embarrassing moments on the field ... my two favorite shots in this case have to be pics that were featured in almost every issue of DCN in various ads in the mid-60's: 1) Peggy Stirk, Bpt PAL Color Guard Captain standing at attention with pertfect sabre postion - unfortunately her shako (one of the extra tall ones) had slipped down over her head onto her shoulders ... she had to be led off the field by the rifles; 2) the infamous shot of the kid from the Smithtown Freelancers whose pants had come undone in the exit - horn in one hand and holding up his pants with the other while in full stride!

Andy "I was at both shows when it happened" Lisko

What a fitting tribute to one of the greatest color guards ever to participate in the activity, the Bridgeport PAL Thunderbirds. Peggy Stirk and company were some of the very best indeed.

HAHA ... besides Moe's great serious pictures of many fine corps, he also had a knack of catching the most embarrassing moments on the field

This is the reason I placed those three "emoticons" in this post (again!!!)!!!! :angry: :sshh: :angry:

wow, great topic. I had the pleasure of meeting Moe and talking with him a few times. Not only is he a great photographer, but he's a great guy. It will be a shame to see him retire, but if we still can see him, then it's all good!!!!!!!!!

Just because you put down the camera Moe, doesn't mean you still can't come around!!! I look forward to seeing you!!!!

I too have many photos taken by Moe dating back to the 70s.

I think my favorite memory was when Moe was the photographer for my brother's wedding in 1980. It was definitely a drum corps wedding and that made it complete :)

wow, great topic. I had the pleasure of meeting Moe and talking with him a few times. Not only is he a great photographer, but he's a great guy. It will be a shame to see him retire, but if we still can see him, then it's all good!!!!!!!!!

Just because you put down the camera Moe, doesn't mean you still can't come around!!! I look forward to seeing you!!!!

According to "Scarlet Knight", this is what the "PCP" Corps is trying to talk him into doing. Moe, you're still the best!!! GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^OO^ ^OO^

"Park City Pride is trying to get him in our Honor Guard".