1977 CT Hurricanes

good assessment of heart of the hurricane corps from 77-81. we took a hard fall following the 76 season but it's those 5 years that give me the most pride & satisfaction of my hurc career , although i didn't realize it until it was over ! i was with the champion hurcs in 67 & 69 , but the win in 81 was by far the most gratifying due to the focus, determination, and hard work by that 80% that perservered through those 5 years ! hurricane pride at its best !!!!!

risking sounding completely biased... but as a witness on the 50 half way up in '81 the pride was even louder than the music and was the first part of the performance before the Opener as guys took their places and folded their horns in their arms. I always said the performance starts way before the first note. The relaxed confidence was obvious. It wasnt a sense of desperation and it was more than just a sense of we like to play our show. and I dont know if it would have mattered what score or placement was awarded, the image of one middle aged baritone player who clearly wouldnt trade places with anybody in the world is still emblazoned on my mind as he set up in the opening formation. I remember Sun '77, Bucs '78, and some other heroic performances, but this one was definitely no less, I appreciate shows done with heart, it certainly isnt commonplace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you would like to hear an audio clip from this year, 1977, of the Hurricanes, please visit the Connecticut Hurricanes Alumni Association website. The streaming audio clips can be found here:

Connecticut Hurricanes Audio files

thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
If you would like to hear an audio clip from this year, 1977, of the Hurricanes, please visit the Connecticut Hurricanes Alumni Association website. The streaming audio clips can be found here:

Connecticut Hurricanes Audio files

thank you.

ha, no thank you! very cool, you can hear Pepe yelling at the end of the '81 clip

I will be up in CT this Sunday to buy some old G bugles from the Hurcs for Reilly to use.

ha, no thank you! very cool, you can hear Pepe yelling at the end of the '81 clip

I will be up in CT this Sunday to buy some old G bugles from the Hurcs for Reilly to use.

you're coming on the right weekend, it's percussion only. only a drummer can appriciate the racket 40 people with sticks in their hands can make!!! but there's still alot of music left in those horns,your buying.......have a good trip! :devil:

you're coming on the right weekend, it's percussion only. only a drummer can appriciate the racket 40 people with sticks in their hands can make!!! but there's still alot of music left in those horns,your buying.......have a good trip! :thumbup:

I chickened out due to weather forecasts, will be up later, pity that.