1977 CT Hurricanes

I think there is a song missing on the corpsreps listing...

"Watch Closely Now" was the drum solo and before "Stormy Weather" in concert I think was "Eastbound and Down".

I am wondering if this song was chosen because the lyrics actually say "weve got a long way to go and a short time to get there"

Had it not been a rough winter for the Hurcs? Wasnt this year a transition and a comeback?

Didnt Frank Dorrittie write the music in '77?

I like listening to the show and the new arrangements.

I think this was the last year for a long time the corps played the traditional, unedited Mag 7 and it wasnt done while exiting so it came through loud and clear.

anyone want to clarify this business? :)

edit: who were the soloists that year? they werent shabby

Edited by BeinGreen

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1977 was a huge turnover year for the hurcs........low numbers in the winter led to the inclusion of girls. this step was not popular in all corners , but looking back through all the years, it was the right move at the right time ! the girls saved the corps in 77 and have paid dividends over and over ! so yes this was a transition year, joe genaro had moved on and frank dorrite took over as arranger/instructor. ray luedee also retired and pat scanlon took over the drum line.

if you listened to the championship recording , it's probably frank dorritie's playing that got your attention , he got in the line for that last weekend. frank was also the right choice......he pulled us through a rough time.

the other soloist you may recognize is doug oravez, he played the mag 7 solo for many years.

1977 was a huge turnover year for the hurcs........low numbers in the winter led to the inclusion of girls. this step was not popular in all corners , but looking back through all the years, it was the right move at the right time ! the girls saved the corps in 77 and have paid dividends over and over ! so yes this was a transition year, joe genaro had moved on and frank dorrite took over as arranger/instructor. ray luedee also retired and pat scanlon took over the drum line.

if you listened to the championship recording , it's probably frank dorritie's playing that got your attention , he got in the line for that last weekend. frank was also the right choice......he pulled us through a rough time.

the other soloist you may recognize is doug oravez, he played the mag 7 solo for many years.

One of the really funny things about that year is that the corps was so resolute about not having women "playing" in the corps that they put many female horn players into the guard and switched male guard folks onto horns and drums, many of whom went on to become accomplished players. It was wonderfully serendipitous that the corps had Frank Dorritie doing the music that year, as he was (in my opinion) one of the very few folks who could have successfully gotten them through that challenging time

Edited by rayfallon

One of the really funny things about that year is that the corps was so resolute about not having women "playing" in the corps that they put many female horn players into the guard and switched male guard folks onto horns and drums, many of whom went on to become accomplished players. It was wonderfully serendipitous that the corps had Frank Dorritie doing the music that year, as he was (in my opinion) one of the very few folks who could have successfully gotten them through that challenging time

thanks Ray, Kevin McDermott replied to me on your behalf on the Reilly bus to Saturday's parade.

I will try to get your email from him unless you send it via a dcp personal message.

Walt

ah, good info, thanks Mr Fisher

I had the pleasure working with Doug Oravez, and not only is he a great horn player but you should ask him about a baseball career that never got off the ground. He could have been a All-Star in both Corps and Baseball but lucky for us it was Drum Corps that he was directed to by his Father. It's a great story, and if you see him you should ask him about it.

the drumline was really hurting with ray luedee retireing. he was suck a rock for that unit. i always said that line was so clean. i think that had he stayed and was in good health that they would have been much better. i really missed ray. in fact i miss him now after all these years.

thanks Ray, Kevin McDermott replied to me on your behalf on the Reilly bus to Saturday's parade.

I will try to get your email from him unless you send it via a dcp personal message.

Walt

Walt, honest to god I replied via DCP IM unless I messed it up!!! It was huge too, like I don't know 5 sentences or something.

John,

Sorry pal... didn't put two and two together... should have realized it was you. Hope all is well.

:blink:

John,

Sorry pal... didn't put two and two together... should have realized it was you. Hope all is well.

:blink:

hey ray, enjoyed reading your post on 1977. of course it was right on the money . although i did have to look up "serendipitous" ! life is good !