2008 Shows

Following on the heels of the Derby City Knights 2007 show, the 2008 show promises to continue DCK's tradition of fast paced, in your face programming. The 2008 production is entitled "That 70s Show", will explore several genres of music with charts that were released during the 1970s. The show will feature music from Chick Corea, Chuck Mangione, Bill Chase and Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

In the early 70’s Jazz Composer and Pianist Chick Corea took a profound stylistic turn from avant garde playing to a crossover jazz fusion style that incorporated Latin elements. Clearly inspired by the Spanish flamenco, “Spanish Fantasy” was recorded and released in 1976, and was among the most successfully received Corea's albums (My Spanish Heart) among music critics. “Spanish Fantasy” is one of the most accomplished and convincing musical statements Chick Corea has ever made.

“Karn Evil 9” is a work by progressive rock group Emerson, Lake & Palmer (ELP), appearing on the album, Brain Salad Surgery. It is regarded by many fans to be among their best works, and at nearly half an hour long, it is also their longest studio recording. To some critics, “Karn Evil 9” embodies what was wrong with 1970s progressive rock: it is lengthy, and at times difficult to digest. However, most musicians would agree that this is ELP's magnum opus.

Chuck Mangione is a flugelhorn player and composer who achieved international success with his jazz-pop style. Mangione has released more than 30 albums from the early 1960s to today. Mangione specialized in orchestral ballads that mixed the most atmospheric aspects of bebop music and the most melodic aspects of pop music. The performance of Mangione's "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor" still exerts a ferocious jolt of life-affirming energy.

Bill Chase was an American trumpet player and leader of a jazz-rock fusion band Chase, which released its debut album Chase in early 1971. The album contains Chase's best-known song, "Get It On," which was released as a single and spent thirteen weeks on the charts starting in May of 1971. It features what the hallmark of the Chase brass - complex cascading lines; a literal waterfall of trumpet timbre and technique.

We hope you will join us for DCK’s second season. The first camp will be held December 8th and 9th at the Carroll County High School. Carroll County will also serve as DCK's home for the 2008 season. Carroll County High School is located in Carrollton, KY off I-71 between Louisville and Cincinnati. The address is 1706 Highland Avenue, Carrollton, KY 41008. The hours will be 8:30 am to 7 pm on December 8th and 8 am to 5 pm on the 9th.

Please feel free to visit website at www.derbycityknights.com, or for the sights and sounds of the 2007 season, please visit DCK’s official myspace page at www.myspace.com/derbycityknights.

Thanks for the info! I added it to the original post.

I also added the CorpsVets show; for full details go to their website.

Edited by Spandy

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda Chancey isn't it? I mean.......playing music that fans may actually RECOGNIZE :blink: I, for one, am looking forward to it. Best of luck for 2008.

Yeah, we are kinda crazy that way. I guess that's how we roll. lol.

Prairie Sound Drum & Bugle Corps Inc. will be playing selections from the Beatles.

Selections? Magical Mystery, Sgt. Pepper, Nowhere Man, Elenor Rigby, Twist & Shout, When I'm 64 and Hey Jude. :blink:

Should be a fun show to play and we hope people will enjoy the show.

Kansan.

Prairie Sound Drum & Bugle Corps Inc. will be playing selections from the Beatles.

Selections? Magical Mystery, Sgt. Pepper, Nowhere Man, Elenor Rigby, Twist & Shout, When I'm 64 and Hey Jude. :whistle:

Just to provide a bit more detail:

Opener is Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. A fine way to open a show and introduce the corps!

Production is Nowhere Man and Eleanor Rigby. ER is such an interesting tune and NM matches its theme quite well.

Concert is Twist & Shout. Heh. I was aiming for Helter Skelter originally, though that got changed.

Percussion feature is When I'm 64. This was originally going to be Penny Lane; Jeff requested this one, however, because we have primarily old fogeys involved right now. I'm thinking canes and jump ropes for the show....

Closer is Hey, Jude. Well, what'd you expect?

TAFL

Just to provide a bit more detail:

Opener is Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. A fine way to open a show and introduce the corps!

Production is Nowhere Man and Eleanor Rigby. ER is such an interesting tune and NM matches its theme quite well.

Concert is Twist & Shout. Heh. I was aiming for Helter Skelter originally, though that got changed.

Percussion feature is When I'm 64. This was originally going to be Penny Lane; Jeff requested this one, however, because we have primarily old fogeys involved right now. I'm thinking canes and jump ropes for the show....

Closer is Hey, Jude. Well, what'd you expect?

TAFL

Thanks! It's on the list now. Sounds like a great show you guys have there!

Kinda Chancey isn't it? I mean.......playing music that fans may actually RECOGNIZE :whistle: I, for one, am looking forward to it. Best of luck for 2008.

Heck if playing music that folks recognize is chancy then we must be the most risk-takingest corps in DCA based on last year's selections. And we are continuing that tradition this coming season. Not sure if our show announcement has been made public here on DCP. I know its posted on our website. www.gulfcoastsound.org

Heck if playing music that folks recognize is chancy then we must be the most risk-takingest corps in DCA based on last year's selections.

Hey, we're beside you on that limb! :D

It's an exercise in finding out how many in the audience remember the lyrics.... B)

TAFL

Hey, we're beside you on that limb! :D

It's an exercise in finding out how many in the audience remember the lyrics.... B)

TAFL

You said it, brother from another mother. If people are humming our tunes as they leave that'll make me real satisfied. :ph34r::huh::huh:

Edited by Kansan

Heck if playing music that folks recognize is chancy then we must be the most risk-takingest corps in DCA based on last year's selections. And we are continuing that tradition this coming season. Not sure if our show announcement has been made public here on DCP. I know its posted on our website. www.gulfcoastsound.org

GREAT SONGS, and my favorite band of all time "Molly Hatchet"!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to hear this show !!!!