Capital regiment still inactive for 2008

I think it's about time that DCI put together a task force to study potential new sources of funding. Really, this should have been done MANY years ago, but we are approaching critical. They need legal experts and to share ideas of what works and what doesn't

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another challenge with the bingo culture is trying to start a new bingo hall. This can be very difficult as those who are already going to their bingo halls are loyal and dedicated customers. Unless that bingo hall folds or changes in a drastic way, the bingo players won't be motivated to "try out" a new hall. That was part of the problem in Florida. Lots of retirees going to bingo but not really interested in going to a new hall. Of course, if you could start a bingo in a place where there aren't any current bingos, that's a possible scenario...

Down here in Texas, some bingo halls have found ways around the recently passed "no smoking" laws. I saw one hall set up a glass wall halfway down the big room, one side for the smokers and the other for the non-smokers! Unfortunately, the smoking side also contained the concessions and the bingo caller. So, when you win (or if you want a hot dog), you had to go over to the smoking side to claim your cash and new cards. :laugh:

In the end, bingo appears to be becoming a thing of the past, unfortunately. It was something I explored in San Antonio during my tenure at Revolution. Came very close to setting one up (by running one night at an already established bingo hall). Alternate funding sources must be explored and/or created in order to survive in the future.

-GM

B)-->

QUOTE(Kyle B @ Oct 17 2007, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's say it costs a million dollars to run the corps, could be lower, but let's use it.

Even if Capital Regiment had practically a million dollars in the coffers, it would still be irresponsible to march, since you are hoping that you have a financially successful tour, otherwise your in the same position next year.

Maybe they just want to make sure that no matter what happens, they will have the ways and means to pay bills and still have money left in the end.

I'm all about corps being fiscally responsible, but I'd rather see them back this year in Open Class. Get the inertia on their side etc. It's gonna be tougher to recruit after two years and they'll probably wind up in Open regardless.

Of course, if they weren't prepared for even a limited tour, I applaud them for at least recognizing that.

I'm all about corps being fiscally responsible, but I'd rather see them back this year in Open Class. Get the inertia on their side etc. It's gonna be tougher to recruit after two years and they'll probably wind up in Open regardless.

Of course, if they weren't prepared for even a limited tour, I applaud them for at least recognizing that.

Yes, but to do so would risk putting the corps in a worse spot than they were in before. Honestly, the way things are going there are fewer and fewer corps to audition for. If they can come back financially stable that will be a big factor with people looking for a corps that will be around for a while.

Another challenge with the bingo culture is trying to start a new bingo hall. This can be very difficult as those who are already going to their bingo halls are loyal and dedicated customers. Unless that bingo hall folds or changes in a drastic way, the bingo players won't be motivated to "try out" a new hall. That was part of the problem in Florida. Lots of retirees going to bingo but not really interested in going to a new hall. Of course, if you could start a bingo in a place where there aren't any current bingos, that's a possible scenario...

Down here in Texas, some bingo halls have found ways around the recently passed "no smoking" laws. I saw one hall set up a glass wall halfway down the big room, one side for the smokers and the other for the non-smokers! Unfortunately, the smoking side also contained the concessions and the bingo caller. So, when you win (or if you want a hot dog), you had to go over to the smoking side to claim your cash and new cards. :satisfied:

In the end, bingo appears to be becoming a thing of the past, unfortunately. It was something I explored in San Antonio during my tenure at Revolution. Came very close to setting one up (by running one night at an already established bingo hall). Alternate funding sources must be explored and/or created in order to survive in the future.

-GM

Hey GM, what about fireworks sales? ^0^

(Guess it wasn't as fun as it looked :P )