Capital regiment still inactive for 2008

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they will have to start in Open class now if they comeback in 2009......at least that is what Magic had to do because they were off for more then 1 year. :(

Let's clarify this before it gets out of hand. I'm 99% this is the case, so if anyone's 100%, please fill us in.

After the Magic fiasco in 2002, top-division corps must go through a review by DCI. DCI's BoD can put an inactive corps back into World, but it is at their discretion to do so. There is no longer a steadfast rule, but they will be reevaluated as if they were any other corps moving up from Open to World. If the BoD thinks they belong back at the top, they can now; there is no longer a 1-year-in-open mandatory season.

That rule had good intentions, but Magic managed to step right on its throat. Glad they're still around to... oh wait, they're gone. :rolleyes:

Let's say it costs a million dollars to run the corps, could be lower, but let's use it.

Even if Capital Regiment had practically a million dollars in the coffers, it would still be irresponsible to march, since you are hoping that you have a financially successful tour, otherwise your in the same position next year.

Maybe they just want to make sure that no matter what happens, they will have the ways and means to pay bills and still have money left in the end.

Let's clarify this before it gets out of hand. I'm 99% this is the case, so if anyone's 100%, please fill us in.

After the Magic fiasco in 2002, top-division corps must go through a review by DCI. DCI's BoD can put an inactive corps back into World, but it is at their discretion to do so. There is no longer a steadfast rule, but they will be reevaluated as if they were any other corps moving up from Open to World. If the BoD thinks they belong back at the top, they can now; there is no longer a 1-year-in-open mandatory season.

That rule had good intentions, but Magic managed to step right on its throat. Glad they're still around to... oh wait, they're gone. :rolleyes:

That's essentially correct. The rule that put Magic in Div. II in 2002 is null and void now because II/III/"Open" corps can no longer move to quarters from II/III finals; instead, all Div. I/"World" competition is approved by the board. I would also argue that if the board thinks they're not ready to come back to the class they were in, they won't allow them back at all. No concrete reason, simply an inference on my part based at least partially on the fact that DCI will either want them to have all their ducks in a row, or not, not "enough to get by a smaller tour," combined with a gut feeling.

All of those except Southwind were inactive for 2007. There are still 21 active Div 1 corps and rumors of 2 more applying for Div 1 status.

Wow. That's great news. :)

B)-->

QUOTE(Kyle B @ Oct 17 2007, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's say it costs a million dollars to run the corps, could be lower, but let's use it.

Even if Capital Regiment had practically a million dollars in the coffers, it would still be irresponsible to march, since you are hoping that you have a financially successful tour, otherwise your in the same position next year.

Maybe they just want to make sure that no matter what happens, they will have the ways and means to pay bills and still have money left in the end.

Umm... I don't know of a single drum corps that is sitting on a cool mil. If you do, I'm available for a staff position...

Corps don't sit on money. When they field, they make money. When they're in deep doodoo, they sit out. Think about all the revenue they don't get when they don't field...

Tour & camp fees, $300,000 for a full corps.

Instrument sponsorships (amortized)

Appearance fees, $75,000

Souvies, $30,000

Of course, they don't have the staff to pay, the gas to pay, etc. etc., so they can do some fundraising. But for the most part, they're better hitting the road. When they're way down though, it's time to play bingo for a year.

The point is, of course, if you have a million dollars, it's only good to you as a backup, and a free $60k fundraiser, unless you have to dip into it. Money in the bank is good, but you don't need $1,000,000 in your piggy bank to hit the road. If you did, there would be no DCI as we know it today.