Mempho 2008

They could compete for the title. I don't remember where they wound up last season but I think they were pretty close to teal at some points. If Spartans and Surf do move up, Memphis is definitely a candidate for this title.

EDIT: Just checked, Memphis wound up 5th overall, but in prelims they beat Teal by a solid point.

Edited by marimbaman89

Guest Myusik4Jakassez

Most of the time (especially in World Class) the top 5 are the same every year. But there are also corps that move in and out of those positions every year (Bluecoats being the perfect example), and that adds a spin to things.

My estimation is that former division II champions like the Spartans and East Coast Jazz will be like the Blue Devils and Cavaliers of Open Class, practically reserving a spot in Finals every year. The other division II corps and top division III corps like the Raiders and Memphis Sound will be like the Bluecoats and Carolina Crown of Open Class, usually if not always make it into finals, but their rankings there will change every year and keep us guessing. And you know what will happen with the rest of them...

Most of the time (especially in World Class) the top 5 are the same every year. But there are also corps that move in and out of those positions every year (Bluecoats being the perfect example), and that adds a spin to things.

My estimation is that former division II champions like the Spartans and East Coast Jazz will be like the Blue Devils and Cavaliers of Open Class, practically reserving a spot in Finals every year. The other division II corps and top division III corps like the Raiders and Memphis Sound will be like the Bluecoats and Carolina Crown of Open Class, usually if not always make it into finals, but their rankings there will change every year and keep us guessing. And you know what will happen with the rest of them...

The difference is, there's less stability in Open Class. With the exception of the Spartans, who are good every year, corps change all the time in open class.

If you assume that Spartans will stay Open Class, then they're a contender, as well as Surf if they stay. However, even if East Coast Jazz does return, I wouldn't expect them to contend in their first year back. A perfect example of this is the Oregon Crusaders, who had an incredible show in 06 and then turned around in 07 to do not as well because of a bunch of changes.

My expectations (if Spartans and Surf don't come back) are that Teal and Memphis (maybe Fever?) will contend for the Open Class title, with BDB and SCVC right behind(assuming they make the trip). Raiders and a bunch of other corps will probably be right behind this group, and I'm expecting at least one of the corps in this group to make some serious moves (like Surf did last season) and contend.

class of 2012...that's just SICK. I'm so jealous.

....and as I typed that i get a weird unexpected sharp pain in my leg. Yup. 8 years of corps got me. But 2012.....sick.

Lol, I'm right behind him, class of 2011.

Memphis Sound is a toss up. Staff come and go, I would just like to see a consistence staff, then maybe there would be more of a vet return, and more progressive placements. Its a great organization, a good place to march, hopefully we will see a good staff return and build on a great past season.

I would love to see a Div II size corps this year, maybe a 40-56 member hornline. That would make me happy.

Edited by no_itsnotadash

has Memphis announced their new director yet?

From the Memphis Sound website (www.memphisdrumcorps.org):

October 18, 2007 - Director, Operations Manager & Caption Head Positions Open

The DCI Division III World Champion Drum and Bugle Corps, Memphis Sound, is now accepting applications for the positions of Corps Director and Operations Manager for the 2007-08 season. The qualified candidates should have excellent leadership and communication skills, some business skills, as well as experience as drum corps directors or in other comparable leadership roles. We are also accepting applications for Brass Caption Head and Colorguard Caption Head.

We are pleased to announce that our Percussion Caption Head, Stephen Frittelli and our Visual Caption Head, Jason Younts will be returning with their staff after being awarded the respective Percussion and Visual Division III caption awards in 2007.

Please send qualified resumes to resumes@memphisdrumcorps.org.

Looks like they're still looking...