How did Troop come back so strong?

You are EVIL! GRRR! Someone call Fred and Jim and tell them to give up the info already!

....just think of some big names that were not in the activity at all last year and you will be close

Edited by roosevelt

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, BTW I totally messed up on Ottoes' first name. Troopers Exec Dir. is MIKE Ottoes, not Jim. Most of us just call him Ottoes, so the first name escapes old farts like me.

Has staff additions or changes been made to Troopers this upcoming season? I loved their show this year, the hornline was pretty awesome.

Scott Atchison is a very driven individual, and i know because he wrote some of my HS marching bands drill and did most of our visual stuff in 06. He is a great teacher and will no doubt do great things for the troop. He is the reason the troop recruited in Tennessee, right out of my high school, and that brought in some members who would have normally not marched a drum corps.

Totally off topic, THANK YOU to every staff member that goes into high schools and recruits directly. That's the only way I would have ever been involved in drum corps. (And thanks to my Band Director who basically said "Drum corps? ::points at me::") We're forever in your debt.

However Troop did what they did last year, I applaud them. I standing-O them. A fantastic feat with amazing results. I wish the powers that made it happen in Casper would summarize what exactly it is that they did to bring Troop back they way they did, so that it could be used as a road map for other corps like Southwind and Capital Regiment. I would love to see more corps make turn around efforts like they did, rahter than watch more great corps disappear into oblivion.

One smart thing they did is make arrangements with upper echelon corps (or atleast one that I know of) to send kids who didn't quite make the cut their way.

• 3 weeks later...
Scott Atchison is a very driven individual, and i know because he wrote some of my HS marching bands drill and did most of our visual stuff in 06. He is a great teacher and will no doubt do great things for the troop. He is the reason the troop recruited in Tennessee, right out of my high school, and that brought in some members who would have normally not marched a drum corps.

Has Scott Atchison ever held a job as a band director....I know he did Blue Devils and was on staff there at one point but I also remember a band director at a local high school with the same name....

So, my question is how did they do it?

1. How did they get the financial things worked out?

2. How did they recruit so many members?

3. How did they end up performing at a higher level than the years immediately preceeding their hiatus?

I have a two word answer for all three questions: Fred Morris.

Has Scott Atchison ever held a job as a band director....I know he did Blue Devils and was on staff there at one point but I also remember a band director at a local high school with the same name....

I am not 100% certain, but I am pretty sure Scott Atchison has been a band director in the past. I have no idea where though.

Not sure about the high school you refer to, but here's his bio from the Troopers webpage under the educational staff tab:

Scott-Lee Atchison is in his first year of doctoral study in instrumental conducting at the University of Washington where he studies conducting with Tim Salzman, and trumpet with Allen Vizzutti and David Gordon. Mr. Atchison serves as the Doctoral Conducting Assistant for the University Concert Bands, Wind Ensemble, Wind Repertoire, as well as Graduate and Undergraduate Conducting courses.

Prior to attending the University of Washington, Mr. Atchison received his Masters Degree from the University of Tennessee where he was a conducting student of Dr. Gary Sousa, Dr. David Stutzenberger, and James Fellenbaum. While at the University of Tennessee, he served as the Graduate Assistant with the Pride of the Southland Marching Band as well as the Director of the Men's Basketball Band. Mr. Atchison received his Bachelors Degree in Music Education from the University of North Texas where he studied trumpet with Keith Johnson and Leonard Candeleria.

Mr. Atchison began his drum corps experience with the World Champion Concord Blue Devils in 1997. His experience with them includes a year in the Brass Line in 1997 as well as two years as Drum Major in 1998 and 1999. In addition, he spent one year on their instructional staff in 2002. In 2007, Mr. Atchison joined the instructional staff for The Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps where he serves as Brass Caption Head and Music Coordinator.

In addition to his pageantry experience, Mr. Atchison has collaborated with many award-winning composers such as Cindy Mc Tee and Pulitzer Prize winners Michael Colgrass and David Del Tredici.