No Rich, George D. was a St. Rita's Brassman and a Skyliner.

'Big John' Munger, our double bass player was a Bronx Kinsgman who stayed through the 'Los Hombres del Rey' years. Jack Pratt was the drum man at the Kingsmen. He also was in the NY Knickerbockers, after his Kingsmen days where George Tuthill taught. When he aged out, John gravitated to Hawthorne where the instructors were both Tuthill and Pratt.

As I recall Danny Raymond,Sr. was a drum instructor for "Los Hombres del Rey" their first year out. Bunce wrote some dynamite charts for them and when they were "on" they probably were the best hornline around. But they used to get clobbered in drumming. We used to share the Kingsbridge Armory with them on Sunday nights during the winter for indoor drill rehearsals. Bunce was always looking over his shoulder when Hy came into the building to see if he was listening to his arrangements. Bunce had been a student of Hy's when he marched with the New York Skyliners.

65 NYS Championships in Rochester they wore blue uniforms with white cross straps like a west point style...I dont believe that they went Spanish (Los Hombres) until 1967. They came out of the box winning shows over Blessed Sac, Blue Rock, St Lucy's, St Joes Batavia et al...I think Siglow is correct in saying that their drum line held them back later in the season.

They were pretty scary in early 1967. We did shows in south Jersey and Delaware in early June with them and everyone was quite shocked with their 64 brass and their enegetic NYC sound. Remember that St Joes had a national contender drum line back then.

Donny

65 NYS Championships in Rochester they wore blue uniforms with white cross straps like a west point style...I dont believe that they went Spanish (Los Hombres) until 1967. They came out of the box winning shows over Blessed Sac, Blue Rock, St Lucy's, St Joes Batavia et al...I think Siglow is correct in saying that their drum line held them back later in the season.

They were pretty scary in early 1967. We did shows in south Jersey and Delaware in early June with them and everyone was quite shocked with their 64 brass and their enegetic NYC sound. Remember that St Joes had a national contender drum line back then.

Donny

NY Kingsmen were Mexican in 66 and 67. Their drum line and horn line won high honors at the 1966 NE Circuit Championships, as did the Sunrisers on the senior side. Not sure how their drums did outside that circuit.

Edited by gsksun4

Looking at corpsreps...both 66 and 67, they came out strong...really strong!!! But both years, many corps passed them and their score didnt seem to improve as others did. But I still dont think they came out with the new sound and look until 1967...

Donny

Looking at corpsreps...both 66 and 67, they came out strong...really strong!!! But both years, many corps passed them and their score didnt seem to improve as others did. But I still dont think they came out with the new sound and look until 1967...

Donny

Donny, go here and look through the pics. Put your cursor over the pic and in the upper left corner it shows the year. Trust me, they did the hat dance in 66.

http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=pictures&corpsid=592&corpstype=Junior

Edited by gsksun4

Donny

Pics on corpsreps show them with the new unis in 1966...

So, it *appears* they changed to "New York" for the '66 season.

And from:

http://thealumniofnewyorkcitydrumcorps.blogspot.com/2008/05/new-york-kingsmen-october-1965.html

"Completely reorganized in October of 1965, the corps features the magnificent music of Mexico, the natural pulsating percussion rhythms of our Latin neighbors, and the dazzling drill of thrilling precision unit."

So when they won the Northeastern in '66, they were actually the New York Kingsmen?

My head hurts...

Change one letter in the last name of the current feature and it matches the last name of a famous comedian from Saturday Night Live.

I know, the clue is probably useless, because most here don't stay up that late. :tongue:

But some of us do.... shutup.gif