Now that's funny, and speaking of which...

The current individual under discussion, together with the already identified Mr. Patrone, organized one of the largest gatherings of priests, nuns, brothers, and other religious types this side of Vatican City, and they did this every August for about 30 years.

The Dream, like its counterparts CYO Nationals and Mission Drums, was a bona fide movable feast, and featured more "saints" than the New Testament: St. Kevin's, St. Vincent's, Blessed Sac, Holy Name, the Saints (from Edison)...

Of course there were plenty of sinners too: Skyliners, Musketeers, Raiders, Sunrisers (sun-worshipping pagans), Caballeros, Hurricanes, Princemen, Crusaders (doing penance), Brewers and Buccaneers...

But all were required to present themselves before an "audience" packed with habits, Roman collars and rosaries. And every performer got the "message" that drum corps needed the church, and vice-versa.

Of course, that the was whole point for our current subject, I think. And he had followers and diciples far and wide, like his colleague Fr. DeProfio, 'way out there in the wilderness of Bridgeport. It takes extraordinary individuals like these to sustain drum corps. There are just too few from that mold around at present.

Now that's funny, and speaking of which...

The current individual under discussion, together with the already identified Mr. Patrone, organized one of the largest gatherings of priests, nuns, brothers, and other religious types this side of Vatican City, and they did this every August for about 30 years.

The Dream, like its counterparts CYO Nationals and Mission Drums, was a bona fide movable feast, and featured more "saints" than the New Testament: St. Kevin's, St. Vincent's, Blessed Sac, Holy Name, the Saints (from Edison)...

Of course there were plenty of sinners too: Skyliners, Musketeers, Raiders, Sunrisers (sun-worshipping pagans), Caballeros, Hurricanes, Princemen, Crusaders (doing penance), Brewers and Buccaneers...

But all were required to present themselves before an "audience" packed with habits, Roman collars and rosaries. And every performer got the "message" that drum corps needed the church, and vice-versa.

Of course, that the was whole point for our current subject, I think. And he had followers and diciples far and wide, like his colleague Fr. DeProfio, 'way out there in the wilderness of Bridgeport. It takes extraordinary individuals like these to sustain drum corps. There are just too few from that mold around at present.

Let's try this again

I competed many times against this fine group of church supported drum corps, including the Dream Contest every year, and rumor had it

that if we, the Liberty Bell Cadets from Philadelphia, were ever going to win in North Jersey we would have to rename our corps

"The Jesus Christ Cadets"

• Like 2

I competed many times against this fine group of church supported drum corps, including the Dream Contest every year, and rumor had it

that if we, the Liberty Bell Cadets from Philadelphia, were ever going to win in North Jersey we would have to rename our corps

Is it just coincidence that since the beginning of the Dream, or at least what's listed on Corps Reps, that every junior corps Dream winner had a holy name up until 1971? 71 being 27th. Lancers.

Blessed Sacrament of course, Holy Name Cadets, St. Joe's, St. Vincent's, St. Lucy's, St. Kevin's.

Edited by gsksun4

Let's try this again

Liberty Bell! Liberty Bell!

What an extraordinary corps. We listened religiously to their Stetson Richmond recordings in John Sasso's basement, not just to appreciate the performances but to study the incredible arranging that produced such a full brass sound from sopranos and baritones alone. Hightower remarked, "That cat has a very heavy pen."

• Like 1

Liberty Bell! Liberty Bell!

What an extraordinary corps. We listened religiously to their Stetson Richmond recordings in John Sasso's basement, not just to appreciate the performances but to study the incredible arranging that produced such a full brass sound from sopranos and baritones alone. Hightower remarked, "That cat has a very heavy pen."

That cat would be Bob Adaire of Reilly Raiders "Stardust" fame and recent inductee into the Buglers Hall of Fame

Sadly, Bob passed away a few months ago

That cat would be Bob Adaire of Reilly Raiders "Stardust" fame and recent inductee into the Buglers Hall of Fame

Sadly, Bob passed away a few months ago

Ken, what the heck are you doing awake at this hour??? :tongue:

Ken, what the heck are you doing awake at this hour??? tongue.gif

Winding down after the Levittown, PA parade and after party at Wayne and Marge Campbell's yesterday? :w00t:/>

Winding down after the Levittown, PA parade and after party at Wayne and Marge Campbell's yesterday? :w00t:

OK... that's why. :tongue:

I was winding down from attending a high school musical. LOL.

Seriously... my friends Sue and Ed... their son is the lighting director for the Calvert Hall H.S. production of "The Wiz"... so I went to see the show. He's a junior at Calvert Hall... and does a great job with the lighting stuff. (BTW Tony... Sue says hello!!!)

And that "auditorium" at Calvert Hall. WOW. More like a Broadway theater. And the production was a notch or two or three above your average high school show. Including a full pit orchestra, all of them musicians from the school. Pretty ambitious for a high school musical. :thumbup:

OK... that's why. tongue.gif

I was winding down from attending a high school musical. LOL.

Seriously... my friends Sue and Ed... their son is the lighting director for the Calvert Hall H.S. production of "The Wiz"... so I went to see the show. He's a junior at Calvert Hall... and does a great job with the lighting stuff. (BTW Tony... Sue says hello!!!

WooHoo!! worthy.gif (Did Donna and I meet Ed at Barb's services?)

And that "auditorium" at Calvert Hall. WOW. More like a Broadway theater. And the production was a notch or two or three above your average high school show. Including a full pit orchestra, all of them musicians from the school. Pretty ambitious for a high school musical. thumbup.gif

I'll bet the parking and traffic was a LOT better than going to Broadway too! shutup.gif

WooHoo!! worthy.gif (Did Donna and I meet Ed at Barb's services?)

I think you probably did. He's a great guy.

Edited by Fran Haring