one of my favorite memories of #5 (and there are many) was being at a show where there was a cyclone fence between the field and the stands. As Reading was (it had to be Sylvia) getting to the apotheosis of their Finale #5 made his amazing catch, having thrown the mace 1000' in the air doing a somersault and catching it with his teeth or whatever he did that I couldn't even dream of doing. He then raced toward the podium and took it in one leap, but didn't stop there, the next step was about 6' to the top of the cyclone fence, then the next step was the rest of the way into the stands, where he turned and conducted, with fire almost palpably coming from his eyes. I was down on the field not far from the podium. I was dumbfounded. If one ever needed to be reminded of his or her own inadequacies as a drum major, you need only to have witnessed #5 at his peak, and his peak was every time he stepped on the field.

I admire many of the folks I've encountered in 50 years in the drum corps activity. I'm only in awe of a few. #5 is there in the top few.

That toss, with a somersault, was quite often caught behind his back! (heck, he even looked good when he missed the catch!) I've spoken often about him doing this very same feat (scaling walls) at the Meadowlands... (how high was/is THAT freakin' wall? LOL) I asked him once how in the %#*^ do you propel yourself THAT high off the ground and not break your neck. (I used to be able to jump up on my podium with out the use of the steps but that was only about 4 ft high)

His reply, not unlike Olympic and professional athletes, said "I just see myself up there..." (He also said there was not a lot of planning, just started running..... and the rest was history)

• Like 1

The truly amazing thing about George was that despite being recognized as GREAT in so many ways... he was one of the humblist guys I ever met and he ALWAYS had time for some kind words and small talk - and once he met you... he NEVER forgot your name... It was a priviledge and honor to call him "friend"

Amen....

That toss, with a somersault, was quite often caught behind his back! (heck, he even looked good when he missed the catch!) I've spoken often about him doing this very same feat (scaling walls) at the Meadowlands... (how high was/is THAT freakin' wall? LOL) I asked him once how in the %#*^ do you propel yourself THAT high off the ground and not break your neck. (I used to be able to jump up on my podium with out the use of the steps but that was only about 4 ft high)

His reply, not unlike Olympic and professional athletes, said "I just see myself up there..." (He also said there was not a lot of planning, just started running..... and the rest was history)

so that means you were only six inches taller right? cool.gif

Edited by donincardona

so that means you were only six inches taller right? cool.gif

I'm sure there are a few photos of GP and I standing side by side somewhere... (IIRC, he was about an inch or so taller than moi. BITD, I was only slightly taller than Mr. Marci. And maybe slightly shorter then Mr Russo. I do believe I've shrunk since those days though. LOL)

don't know why we're mincing around the name still... maybe we just don't want to stop talking about him...

The truly amazing thing about George was that despite being recognized as GREAT in so many ways... he was one of the humblist guys I ever met and he ALWAYS had time for some kind words and small talk - and once he met you... he NEVER forgot your name... It was a priviledge and honor to call him "friend"

He'll never stop being talked about. He's a true Legend!!

And you are so right.... he was SO humble!!

I tend to be an irregular. I'm not really good at forums. I tend to get my foot stuck in my mouth a lot. I've gotten into some horrific battles on-line. Back at RAMD I was challenged to a virtual duel. Someone was going to "kick my ###" at a show.

I do so like this Guess Who forum. I just get into months at a time where I don't DCP. But I think you offer a great service to the vintage drum corps community, especially those of us whose memories aren't what they used to be.

So I hope you forgive my Guess Who inadequacies, which are many, and accept my thanks for letting me in once every few months.

Are you kidding me??

RAMD was a stepping stool for online Drum Corps talk. It was a "test". lol

Now that the internet has grown and flurished (and we've learned from our mistakes). This is a great forum for you and your extensive background. As I state in my "feature post" no badmouthing is tollerated here. It's all in good fun and meant to enlighten others (pay homage)... etc...

You and your background in this activity definitely belong here. Please stay tuned and contribute as often as possible. Trust me. We appreciate your input and so will the future generations. Hugs!!

one of my favorite memories of #5 (and there are many) was being at a show where there was a cyclone fence between the field and the stands. As Reading was (it had to be Sylvia) getting to the apotheosis of their Finale #5 made his amazing catch, having thrown the mace 1000' in the air doing a somersault and catching it with his teeth or whatever he did that I couldn't even dream of doing. He then raced toward the podium and took it in one leap, but didn't stop there, the next step was about 6' to the top of the cyclone fence, then the next step was the rest of the way into the stands, where he turned and conducted, with fire almost palpably coming from his eyes. I was down on the field not far from the podium. I was dumbfounded. If one ever needed to be reminded of his or her own inadequacies as a drum major, you need only to have witnessed #5 at his peak, and his peak was every time he stepped on the field.

I admire many of the folks I've encountered in 50 years in the drum corps activity. I'm only in awe of a few. #5 is there in the top few.

I totally agree!

He's one of a kind, he'll never be matched!!

To those who have never witnessed him in action....they'll probably never understand. But, this is why your recollection is SO important!! Your words only personify the one of a kind, legend he is!! Thank you for sharing!!

Yep, you are right... (was there any doubt? heh)

And Ray is a well of information on the history of a LOT of the folks (and activity) featured here! thumbup.gif

Cool!!

Make him stay put and contribute his wealth of knowledge here.

Classic!!

I'm sure there are a few photos of GP and I standing side by side somewhere... (IIRC, he was about an inch or so taller than moi. BITD, I was only slightly taller than Mr. Marci. And maybe slightly shorter then Mr Russo. I do believe I've shrunk since those days though. LOL)

Having a Horseshack moment here....

OOooooh, Ooooooh, Oooooh you spelled it "M A R C I" Hah!!