i was a drummer with cru. the gibson's were good people. prentice was a guy i taught the in's and out's of playing tymp.....i hated that drum. and dallas came to us in 1975. i beleive he ended up an instructor after i left after 1980. they were all guy's that came in on colin campbells recruitment. all good guy's. the tonight fanfair went all the way back to the early 60's. a doc mizma arrangement.

Cool! Yeah, over the years I loved running into those guys. Heck, didn't Prentice become corps director or business manager at one point later on???

But yeah, marching timpani was pure hell! When Bobby came on, we got a WHOLE lot better that year, and ended up having more fun with it than anything (and we were disappointed when the next year the drum instructor said he was grounding them, and we had to find other spots!) (meaning, I got cut from timpani to play tenors :blink: )

But I agree... the Gibson's were great! :thumbup: I'll never forget the horns playing that coming off the bus...what a freaking hornline!

You are correct ... from his bio on his Drum Major Academy:

1975: G_____ P____ becomes drum major of the Reading Buccaneers Senior Drum and Bugle Corps.

:-)

My rookie year with Sun...

My rookie year with Sun...

your still a rookie.............tongue.gif oh wait......you won the dream. never mind. shutup.gif

your still a rookie.............tongue.gif oh wait......you won the dream. never mind. shutup.gif

If we're to believe Vic Kulinski, he and I are the oldest rookies in the activity... LOL

As for that "DREAM" thing, It was necessary so when I see Pepe again I can answer the question in the affirmative... worthy.gif

Back in the middle 70's when he was a tuba major at West Chester University, he ate more than a few home cooked meals at my house, just off campus. He single handedly brought the mace to the forefront of drum corps. RIP my old friend.

My memory was off in my reply to Andy but found a picture of the scoreboard. IIRC, this is the pic that the NY Daily News ran with a short caption of what happened.

Full Masslive article with pic

729420acc423d10fd60e6a70670045a0jpg-c3347979dafc93ea_large.jpg

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

you know - this young man gets an awful lot of attention for his mace, but I've never seen anyone in our activity who could get more out of a music ensemble, and I don't just mean the dynasty years. Only Laurie Kunzel came close, and believe it or not, in my experience, John Sasso... okay and maybe Joe Genero too, but this guy was in a league of his own.

Cool! Yeah, over the years I loved running into those guys. Heck, didn't Prentice become corps director or business manager at one point later on???

But yeah, marching timpani was pure hell! When Bobby came on, we got a WHOLE lot better that year, and ended up having more fun with it than anything (and we were disappointed when the next year the drum instructor said he was grounding them, and we had to find other spots!) (meaning, I got cut from timpani to play tenors :blink:/> )

But I agree... the Gibson's were great! :thumbup:/> I'll never forget the horns playing that coming off the bus...what a freaking hornline!

I was Vince Bruni's right hand man that year (1978)... my brother and I were both playing lead sop... I remember the warm welcome back then well... and not only was that the loudest horn line in the history of DCA... it was also by far the largest... 76 horns at finals...

Hard to believe he's gone ... what year did he take over as DM for the Bucs?

I'm thinking 73?

Not sure when he actually took over as DM...I seem to remember someone saying that he played contra for a season, but not entirely sure... I met him here and there throughout the years I marched Westshore, and did the usual small talk crap, etc. We had one of those "I don't know your name but I know you" kind of things with him (although I obviously knew who he was).

When I walked into the Bucs practice in 1984, he looked at me and said "Well it's about time you get your butt here!" Shook my hand and patted me on the back. What was funny was how he would "learn" our parts and cue us...it was really wild to lock eyes with him during a show, he was thoroughly intense! But just a very nice down to Earth guy from my perspective. Weird that he's gone...

One other funny thing was that he traveled with his "Intellivision" system, and was apparently hooked to the football game...when the rest of us were partying like madmen at hotels, he was beating the crap out of people with the video game!

my only real experience with him came in 2000 when I taught there...he came in the weekend his academy was at West Chester and gave the corps a talk. So focused, so intense, but still a Buc thru and thru.

I do have two favorite moments tho

in 82, when Westshore had Tommy Sipe chucking those rifles in the air, my little brother, all of 4, went up to him at Carlisle and told him about how he liked him, but about what Tommy was doing. he was so gracious talking to a 4 year old never missed a beat and said "I'll have to work harder!"

make it 3 memories...87...in the rain at prelims/finals....with a cast on his wrist...didn't drop a #### toss

and in 2005 before Bucs victory run. Josh Decker, then Bucs DM, was one of his best pupils. before they started the run, Josh climbed up on the box, and down on the field, he was there, in his corps jacket, saluting Josh. The last DM to conduct a Bucs champion saluting the newest one.