LIttle trip back to the 60's.

This guy was special, no doubt, but the thing I recall most about the corps during that time was how dedicated the guys all were toward that same goal. In junior corps, people would miss parades, exhibitions, etc., but that was almost non-existant with Sun. Yeah, you better have been in a car wreck to miss a contest, and even then, Orus Cavnor I believe made the field and they had to point out to the judges why he couldn't wear a shako. Think he had a big bandage on his head for that one, duh?

Only guys I remember missing a show had military duty.

Edited by gsksun4
  • Like 1

Like I said Ray, you and he had/have a lot in common ...

... and Don ... if you know who Ironlips is on this forum, then you know who's in the pic!

:-)

THEN I KNOW WHO HE IS. i actually know somebody............LOL

• Like 1

Bring it home Don!!!

frank dorrite............spelling?

• Like 1

Like I said Ray, you and he had/have a lot in common ...

... and Don ... if you know who Ironlips is on this forum, then you know who's in the pic!

:-)

Frank Dorritie...

Like a billion other kids in this activity, I was blown away by Frank's playing. Some guys had great tone, others great flexibility, others great range - some had good jazz chops - others could sound like Maurice Andre playing Hayden or Hummel. Dorritie could do all of it. He sounded the same an 8va down as he did 2 8va up, no tone stretch, no flatting or sharping, no fuzz - just pure unadulertated sweet sound. Everyone I knew wanted to sound like Frank - one guy in our corps, John "Cookie" Kamerdin did a close enough Dorritie impression that he was the soloist on American In Paris for Sun. Biggest tribute to his sound? Folks thought it was Frank.

But the playing is just the tip of the iceberg. Like Bucky Swan, whom we eulogized recently, Frank must have taught hundreds, maybe thousands of kids on Long Island, some of whom went on to be big time players. And the corps he taught! Garfield in the 70s, right up into the early 80s. Some of those classic landmark hornlines and shows, including things like "Pieces of Dreams" that still holds the place in my mind of best jazz chart put on the field. He also taught in more places than many are aware - everyone knows Bluecoats and Blue Devils, but for a while you couldn't go near a DCI brass line that Frank hadn't at least consulted with.

I had the bad luck to follow him to Hurricanes (with a year in between for Eric Rosen) and then again to Bayonne after he rewrote their show in the middle of 1983 and pulled them into DCI finals. Hard to look good following Frank around.

And in his free time? Winning Grammys...

Just like the rest of us, right?

Worst part? You had to pick a skinny picture of him - guy doesn't have enough going on without making him look like a rock star?

Edited by rayfallon

i don't know who this is but the uni was my favortie hurricane uni. :thumbup:

Mine too!

(A little bias here, I also wore it.... heh)

LIttle trip back to the 60's.

This guy was special, no doubt, but the thing I recall most about the corps during that time was how dedicated the guys all were toward that same goal. In junior corps, people would miss parades, exhibitions, etc., but that was almost non-existant with Sun. Yeah, you better have been in a car wreck to miss a contest, and even then, Orus Cavnor I believe made the field and they had to point out to the judges why he couldn't wear a shako. Think he had a big bandage on his head for that one, duh?

Only guys I remember missing a show had military duty.

1985 Sun, I missed the Sunday parade in B'Port after the show on Saturday.

Maybe that's why most of the Corps members stopped by the hospital to be sure I wasn't just attempting to skip the parade. heh :shutup:

(That B'Port show in 85 was to be the last time I ever wore any uniform or competed on a DC field.... seems like it was only 29 years ago. :w00t: )

Everyone I knew wanted to sound like Frank - one guy in our corps, John "Cookie" Kamerdin did a close enough Dorritie impression that he was the soloist on American In Paris for Sun. Biggest tribute to his sound? Folks thought it was Frank.

As I recall, Frank wanted that solo. Correct me FTD if I'm wrong. Franks sweetness is showcased in the earlier part of Am In Paris. If you listen and know what he sounds like, you'll know when. Could be Diliberto, but I'm pretty sure it's the Frank that tucked his shirts in. Inside Sun joke there.

Long time ago, but I think I can pick him out anywhere in that show.

Edited by gsksun4

Man, what recall you have, Glenn.

I really, really wanted to play that solo, but John Kamerdin was a superb player and Mr. Sasso was wise enough to spread the features around. That, of course, was a smart move and a bit of insurance in the event someone actually did have to miss a performance.

In fact, you subbed for me once back then, I seem to remember. All the leads knew all the solos. That bugger Kamerdin never missed so much as a rehearsal, but I did get to play that bit in a subsequent year. By that time, everybody thought it was he, though he had retired to become a Wall Street wolf.

I don't know who that cat is that Ray is referencing. I'm going to put all that exaggeration down to some service-related affliction he brought home. You want to hear somebody who had real command of the horn? Check out anything Tommy Martin ever played. And then there was, Angelica, Riggie, Swan, Hightower, Gaff, Simpson, Ednie, Pepe, Hazelwood, Diliberto...

• Like 3