Man, what recall you have, Glenn.

I really, really wanted to play that solo, but John Kamerdin was a superb player and Mr. Sasso was wise enough to spread the features around. That, of course, was a smart move and a bit of insurance in the event someone actually did have to miss a performance.

In fact, you subbed for me once back then, I seem to remember. All the leads knew all the solos. That bugger Kamerdin never missed so much as a rehearsal, but I did get to play that bit in a subsequent year. By that time, everybody thought it was he, though he had retired to become a Wall Street wolf.

I don't know who that cat is that Ray is referencing. I'm going to put all that exaggeration down to some service-related affliction he brought home. You want to hear somebody who had real command of the horn? Check out anything Tommy Martin ever played. And then there was, Angelica, Riggie, Swan, Hightower, Gaff, Simpson, Ednie, Pepe, Hazelwood, Diliberto...

Even Pepe would laugh at that reference - he was a showman, and a realist.

Ya know, I left out so much in my off the top of my head Dorritie description - how about the Garfield Jazz Ensemble - every member of Frank's Brass line was learning to improvise around a 12 bar blues. This was a decade before its time and in many cases has never been attempted.

Never forget the GFE opening for Maynard in White Plains, NY.

I agree with your assessment this far: In my 50 years of listening, only you and Tommy Martin played with the sound and finesse on the G-D horns - and of course Simpson and Hightower on the baritones. There's a fabulous 2nd tier - guys that were just about Gods, like Baby John Chalmus and some of the other names you mention, but until Jim Brady came along only you two were in that place. And I love Tommy Martin - I may even give him the coin toss against you for beginning raw players, in fact you might be 3rd behind both him and Swan (in the East - please don't yell at me about people in Chicago, Switzerland, or upstate NY). But for just the simply command of the horn and what came out the end week after week, I think you get it by a hair.

For us mere mortals think about what kind of company that is... I get excited when someone remembers my name. They played a tape of me at the WDHoF and my daughter said "Is that you?" I said "yeah" she said "I didn't know you played - I thought you just taught".

And still just to be a footnote in that conversation is a lifetime excitement.

Can you imagine being in the conversation "So were you the best, or second best of all times?"

Mind boggling.

BTW it's not a service related brain injury - I admit to some hero worship left over from hanging around the Sunrisers, but Tommy Martin and Bucky were heroes of mine too. And over time I've been a pretty good judge of what is a good player, if I do say so myself.

One question though - is that the skinniest you were prior to say 2000? You look like a ####ing rail! albeit a handsome rail!

Please Read Before You Post
If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)
If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.
When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.
Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:
The *Guess Who* Mailbox
Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..
By request.....Guess Who # 511 ?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7455/12489866324_9282de7e82_o.jpg

• Like 1

If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)

When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.

Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

oh now i may know who that is. i'll follow the clues and see. did we have another pic of him a while back?

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

You're a funny lady.

Do you have software like "photo-squish.com" "Squish those extra 20 lbs away"

I don't think we should waste any good GW time on this stiff.

Spent most of his career following #510 around... 510 leaves, 511 shows up...

Imagine the disappointments...

• Like 1

All I can take credit for is posting it "following" # 510!

The rest of this great credit goes to the comedian that submitted it! :worthy:

Someone here kept requesting such a pic, no?!? :lol:

(As they say, careful what you ask for ....)

Well I think someone from either Sun, the Hurcs, Bridgemen, Archie, or Crusaders should just put us out of our misery on this one.

Oh, or the Oceanside Legionnaires, of which only Jackie Murray and this guy are left in the activity I think

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

I don't remember him ever being that....err.... tall. :w00t:

• Like 1