Traffic Jam and Scatter Drill?

I'm not sure I'd see them as identical.

It could be argued that Hoffman refined something that had been created much earlier by others, Vinnie Ratford, among them.

Breaking away from the US Army Manual 22-5, Drill and Ceremonies, was right up there with putting upright valves on a bugle and bringing out the timpani, i.e., tantamount to armed insurrection, or the Protestant Reformation.

The purists were aghast, the radicals ecstatic.

No, probably not identical. Horn honking and signs were added in. It fit.

But, the whole idea of (for argument sake) you have 16 counts to end up "Here"

But who initiated it?

booby?? LOL!!

oops.

Serious question here:

Who came up with the Traffic Jam / Scatter Drill

So far these have been mentioned:

Sky: Bobby Hoffman 1972

St. Joe's : (Upstate NY) 1971

Also mentioned was "Voodoo Moon" Chicago Royalairs. Mid / late sixties.

Wonder if a scatter drill is in one of ye olde A. R. Casavants MB Drill books from the 50s/60s. Never heard of the man but had his son for a college MB head and googled since. Turns out AR (literally) wrote the book... and more books on MB drill. LOL, AR even got a mention in one of the articles in your history blog Nanci.

And ARs kid Charlie had a scatter drill in one of our shows. Forget how we started but ended up in the form of a rocket ship at the start of Star Wars theme (hey it was 1977). Then we collapsed the form as we headed towrads the front sideline at an angle. Helluva drill set up except for one thing. I had the spot furthest away from the front sideline at the end of the scatter/forming of rocket and was 5 feet the wrong side of the back sideline. Charlie was asked and I was told "Do it, it fits". All I could think of was "Great end of halftime and the ####### football players will be there... ####".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Wonder if a scatter drill is in one of ye olde A. R. Casavants MB Drill books from the 50s/60s. Never heard of the man but had his son for a college MB head and googled since. Turns out AR (literally) wrote the book... and more books on MB drill. LOL, AR even got a mention in one of the articles in your history blog Nanci.

And ARs kid Charlie had a scatter drill in one of our shows. Forget how we started but ended up in the form of a rocket ship at the start of Star Wars theme (hey it was 1977). Then we collapsed the form as we headed towrads the front sideline at an angle. Helluva drill set up except for one thing. I had the spot furthest away from the front sideline at the end of the scatter/forming of rocket and was 5 feet the wrong side of the back sideline. Charlie was asked and I was told "Do it, it fits". All I could think of was "Great end of halftime and the ####### football players will be there... ####".

what hoffman did was not a scatter drill. and i believe he came up with it.

• Like 1

Let's see what Andy and Ray P. say, they were part of it.

All I know is, I wish I was there the night he thought it up..........

Edited by gsksun4

OK what was it called then?

Not being smart, I have the DVD of Sky that year and "scatter" is the only term I can think of.

OK what was it called then?

Not being smart, I have the DVD of Sky that year and "scatter" is the only term I can think of.

traffic jam

traffic jam

Nevermind, trying to make a joke and it's not working out... need more coffee.... :tounge2:

Edited by JimF-LowBari