"The Sunrisers, August 10, 1969

Cliff Diable ; "1st use of mallets in DCA history" "At The Dream"

Jersey City, New Jersey"

Just to clarify a point here: This caption would lead you to believe that it was AT the Dream Contest in 1969 that the Sunrisers first used the marching bells. More accurately, they were used the entire 1969 season. That picture just happens to be from the '69 Dream. Great picture!

If you want to verify this, just listen to Fleetwood's recording of the 1969 "Fresh Air Fanfare." The bells can be heard on that recording, featured very prominently. That night Sky won the contest, Sun debuted their mallets, the Rebels debuted their "Requiem For an Era" as we (Hawthorne) stood on the starting line, watching. We took high drums, but finished last in the show. Quite a memorable night, I'd say.

Sorry to have gotten a little off topic.

John,

In 1969 I was marching in another Corps that was "breaking new ground" because of the same Percussion Arranger/Instructor. Mr. Gerald Shellmer :shutup:

Sorry Nanci...

Any takers yet?

Guess Who?

http://tinyurl.com/36ec26

It looks like Bobby Castor (of Archie, Reilly, Rebels, Skyliner Alumni and Cabs Alumni fame [have I left anyone out? ]) , but it also looks like an Interstatemen "pi**-cutter".

Actually......I thought the same thing. The bus looks pretty recent. You left out the Music Express.

It looks like Bobby Castor (of Archie, Reilly, Rebels, Skyliner Alumni and Cabs Alumni fame [have I left anyone out? :shutup: ]) , but it also looks like an Interstatemen "pi**-cutter".

No it's not Bobby Castor. But are ya feel'n the warmth?