OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

From one colour guard to another, may I salute you. You make me want to march again. These are such fun photos. :smile:

Can someone make a nice saluting Smilie?

Sorry about being a little late to the game....

How is this one? Close enough?

yes_sir.gif

Just had to add this.

Most of these drummers are marching Alumni now.

drumline1971.jpg

Looks like an old cast photo of West Side Story or something! But you put a uniform on them, strap on some various kinds of drums and they not only remembered the drill they played like a house on fire.

Puppet

Just had to add this.

drumline1971.jpg

Looks like an old cast photo of West Side Story or something! But you put a uniform on them, strap on some various kinds of drums and they not only remembered the drill they played like a house on fire.

Puppet

Puppet, that's you in the middle in the white shirt, isn't it?

Puppet, that's you in the middle in the white shirt, isn't it?

Actually, no. I was way skinnier always carried a horn and my hair was way bigger.

At17Puppet.jpg

I looked like a Tootsie Roll Pop.

Puppet

I saw a post from a drummer on another part of the forums today - don't remember if I'd ever posted this shot before - but the young woman in this shot was our first non guard participant. This must have been from one of her first rehearsals because she hadn't yet been bestowed with the Brassmen "B" on her Drum.

1973Snareline.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen ... Cherokee!

In her own words:

"I first drummed and marched with The Hot Shots of Norwalk, Connecticut and then went on to The Notre Dame (D-ETTES) all girl drum corps of Bridgeport, Connecticut and after leaving them I went to The St. Aedan's Cadets of New Haven, Connecticut. After about two months with them I went on to The Milford Shoreliners of Milford, Connecticut. I finished my snare drumming and marching with The St. Rita's Brassmen of Brooklyn, New York. All through my drumming in various corps, I always participated in snare drumming individual competition during the off season. I also drummed for two years as part of a drum quartet with three boys competing in drum quartet competitions and also played for color guard competitions during the off season."

Oh yeah, this is the 800th post - happens to be page 80!

Puppet

Cherokee was a KICK ### and good looking snare drummer, I played with her for a VERY short time in the Emerald Cadets and the two Shoreliner rehearsals I attended prior to their becoming part of the Brassmen familyy. I also remember her from her ND-ette days....She was one of Ray Luedee's Pride and Joys! She loved going head to head with the guys in Individuals. but back then she had to compete alot of times in the Female Snare Individuals...there were seperate classes in I&E .... but she was just awesome !! Every drummer guy in Conn had a crush on her.. lol :worthy:

Sorry about being a little late to the game....

How is this one? Close enough?

yes_sir.gif

Thank you, I downloaded this to my C: drive. In my mind, a salute is a gesture of acknowledgement and respect. I salute you. As insight, I started as DM middle of grade 11 and did a bit of saluting BITD. Let’s pretend doh is a salute smilie for the example below.

“Drum major, is your corps ready?” :tongue: colour-pre :smile: after concert :smile: pass and review :smile: retreat :smile: “The winner of the best drum major trophy is…” :devil: and a :handshake:

Off topic. In grade 8 we did a skit for our peers, similar to the link below. I’m female, had a lovely brown sweater, lots of hair nets in my drum corps bag and after our first rehearsal, my co-star asked if I could please empty my purse. I kinda liked applause be it from drum corps or otherwise :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcHffTlD8wY...feature=related

1977, banquet at Grosvenor House primarily to acknowledge our support staff. My photo of guard member thanking some of our equipment staff whom were eligible if under 16 years old spring of 1977 and a brother of a marching member; literally.

1977-banquet-a.jpg

Pam and I and a few of the older girls decided to pack the lorry (truck) the night before our departure to Heathrow and then home. We wanted to give the equipment staff a break. If I recall it took us about 5 tries packing and re-packing and at least 4 times the amount of time the guys did for over 50 shows in 13 countries over 10 weeks. I salute equipment staff then and now.

That's who I judged with for decades, starting in 1976 as a 23-year-old who was teaching the Wayne Monarchs at the time (drums).

...started as flag tech at about 16; started judging soon after my 21st birthday…preferred my role as marching/flag tech though…working with September-two-left-feet-kids and watching them do their first run through during May-long-weekend-camp was a treat. At the June contest, I’d put on my DM uniform and improvise my drill. Last page of DCA magazine 1971; I didn’t get more magazines :-(

1971-dca-a.jpg

Just had to add this.

drumline1971.jpg

Puppet

Puppet, my man, you have one great photo collection!

And my compadre at Park City, Johnny Oddo...he hasn't changed one iota.

I always thought of St. Rita's as the last of the great NYC drum corps, a true national contender in their time, carrying on a tradition to be sure, but with a style all their own.