OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

1978 Alberta All Girls in Tijuana, Mexico

1978-mexico1.jpg

Pam and I had tour guides/interpreters while in Tijuana and a chaperon. We’d take notes of stops on our western tour. The last leg of tour was to watch DCI finals in Denver ‘cause some of the girls never saw a DCI contest before. When we returned to Canada, some of us exchanged our corps uniforms for bus tour guide uniforms, kept the buses moving all year ‘round.

1978 Alberta All Girls in Tijuana, Mexico, on our way to the ‘half time’ show at the bullfight

1978-mexico2.jpg

edit; this was the second visit...not the first :-)

Edited by lindap

Good grief, you gals did travel the world, didn't you! :smile:

Remember Edmunton? I can't remember that latter half of the Seventies :thumbup:

I met with the ladies 10 days ago on another matter and stumbled across some 1975 information. Most likely the sun would have set after the contest was over.

July 4, 1975, 8:00 p.m. Salute to Youth (‘a first for Western Canada’) at Clarke Stadium, Edmonton, hosted by Alberta Girls, featuring (clockwise on the promotional flyer)

Blue Devils

Alberta Girls

Highland Pageantry Show

Spokane’s Sensational Percussionists Patriots

Black Watch

Santa Clara Vanguard

27th Lancers

1977 or 1978, audition or rehearsal at Eastglen High School, Jr. and Sr. corps members. I recall the school turning the thermostat down on weekends. We looked forward to warm ups. I’ve got a bout of forum fatigue…ahchoo…excuse me…talk to ya later

1978-enhanced.jpg

Most likely the sun would have set after the contest was over.

We (27th) and Santa Clara stayed at the same school there. The instructors asked us if we wanted to practice until 9:00 p.m. or until the sun went down. We chose the latter only to find ourselves still practicing at midnight, with the sun still up .

But we had a great little get together with SCV (they had the day off and came back to the school with "supplies").

Good times !! :tongue:

Edited by john2780

• 2 weeks later...
I met with the ladies 10 days ago on another matter and stumbled across some 1975 information. Most likely the sun would have set after the contest was over.

July 4, 1975, 8:00 p.m. Salute to Youth (‘a first for Western Canada’) at Clarke Stadium, Edmonton, hosted by Alberta Girls, featuring (clockwise on the promotional flyer)

Blue Devils

Alberta Girls

Highland Pageantry Show

Spokane’s Sensational Percussionists Patriots

Black Watch

Santa Clara Vanguard

27th Lancers

Hmmm, a "first" for Western Canada? What about the First Annual Edmonton Klondike Days Drum and Bugle Corps Extravaganza (no, really!) in 1972? There was even a prelims and finals since so many WA, OR, CA, MT and Canadian corps were there. I'll have to dig out the Edmonton newspaper articles I have. I think they said the same thing then. I wonder if there was a Second Annual EKDD&BCE? Too bad since they had an awesome perpetual trophy. We accidentally brought it home and had to ship it back. If there wasn't a second one, I want that trophy!

And, yes, it's really weird to be on the starting line at 9:30 in broad daylight.

Garry in Vegas

PS Did the Percussion-Naut Patriots change their name before 1975?

Edited by CrunchyTenor

(snip)

Garry in Vegas

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is no. I believe '74 was the last year for the Percussion-Naut Patriots. They didn't compete in '75 at all and were resurrected as Renaissance in '76.

I have emailed "Spencer7" an ex-Percussion-Naut Patriot to get a definitive answer though.

Rice

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is no. I believe '74 was the last year for the Percussion-Naut Patriots. They didn't compete in '75 at all and were resurrected as Renaissance in '76.

I have emailed "Spencer7" an ex-Percussion-Naut Patriot to get a definitive answer though.

Rice

Rice is correct - the Patriots did not compete again after 1974. Sounds like the program was set up before that decision was made.

As far as "Sensational" - that would be in the ear of the beholder; and we were always "Percussion-naut", never "Percussionist" (but we were called many other names by our competition, I'm sure!)

Hmmm, a "first" for Western Canada? What about the First Annual Edmonton Klondike Days Drum and Bugle Corps Extravaganza (no, really!) in 1972? There was even a prelims and finals since so many WA, OR, CA, MT and Canadian corps were there. I'll have to dig out the Edmonton newspaper articles I have. I think they said the same thing then. I wonder if there was a Second Annual EKDD&BCE? Too bad since they had an awesome perpetual trophy. We accidentally brought it home and had to ship it back. If there wasn't a second one, I want that trophy!

And, yes, it's really weird to be on the starting line at 9:30 in broad daylight.

Garry in Vegas

Salute to Youth was held on July 4th, 1975. Calgary Stampede is during the 2nd week of July and Klondike Days the 3rd week of July. I searched the Historical forum for ‘Klondike’ and found the news article you posted. “Two California drum and bugle bands captured the two top spots in the second annual Klondike Days Band Extravaganza Wednesday night in Clarke Stadium. The $1,000 first prize and Labatt's Challenge Trophy for the championship were awarded to the Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps of Santa Ana, Calif. Second place and $600 were presented to the Knight Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps of Sunnydale, Calif.” Kudos to you. The entire article is here:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...p;#entry1455115

I was at the Seventh Annual Edmonton Klondike Days Drum and Bugle Corps Extravaganza in 1978. Wed or Thurs was the parade with lots of marching bands, pipe bands, drum corps, collectively, marching units, almost 1 per 2 parade floats.

During the noon hours, Jasper and 100th Street would be closed for 4 Corners. Up to 4 marching units would perform a standstill in the middle of the street before the bathtub races. Corporations would have 4 reps., 1 sitting in a bathtub on wheels and 3 pushing the bathtub down the street. On hot days, the winners get doused with water balloons.

The Extravaganza was usually held Fri or Sat at Clarke Stadium. It was held at the Coliseum (hockey arena) in 1978 ‘cause Clarke was booked and Commonwealth was undergoing finishing touches for the 1978 Commonwealth Games Aug 3-12. 2 quick photos I took outside.

1978-kdays1.jpg

1978-kdays2.jpg

The inside photos are below. Sorry, only took 4 photos, was multi-tasking that day.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2066622

River raft races on Sat morning and the Sunday afternoon promenade may have had marching units play standstill. The downtown streets were closed and people would promenade wearing turn of the century costumes.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2157385

The Alberta All Girls did a lot of fundraising including K-Days. This is at the exhibition with roller coasters, ring toss, cotton candy, good times.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2164750

We attended the 1978 Commonwealth Games opening ceremonies and went on our drum corps tour…to be continued...