College

RaiderLex

I was readin one of these in the percussion forum, and i was thinking, pretty soon im gonna have to start looking into colleges. What suggestions would you give me for a college. To major in Music education, what colleges do you guys go to, or what colleges have you been to with good musical programs. Thank You. :rolleyes:

Wow, that is a much bigger question than you may realize. First of all, do you want to go far from home? Region can play a role. Public or private? Moneymoneymoney. Your ability is also a factor. Do you want to get in right away with ensembles or do you want to have to fight a little to get in? Bigger schools may have more students. Keep in mind this does not mean that they will always be good. Here is a QUICK list of other things to consider.

Does the school have a reputation for producing well rounded musicians and educators?

Do you like your potential studio teacher?

What is the experience of the MusEd faculty and does that faculty publish often?

Will you be able to change your major and still be happy at that school? Often, music majors change their minds after the first year. This is not to scare you, it's just the way it is.

Can you get in?

I personally think that a School of Music that is bigger but not huge is the way to go. It can provide healthy competition and let you get ensemble experince, which is not always the case at bigger name schools. Off the top of my head I can think of some schools that have a good rep for mused faculty.

Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI

Ball State University, Muncie, IN

Kent State University, Kent, OH

Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PN (?)- has many grad students I think

Unversity of Wisconsin at Eau Clair (sp?)

Many others are out there, this was just off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in.

Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA

WOW... someone mentioned it... I swore it wouldn't happen...

I know I complain about Berklee... but the fact is no matter where you go you will always run into Administration problems.

Berklee is PHENOMINAL! One of the greatest school on the Planet. But it's very hard to stick around and be an individual. Being in Drum Corps you will fair much better then the average guitar player who can't read music.

go to www.berklee.edu for more info.

I'm a FILM SCORING major... just keep in mind that a career in music is not just Limited to Teaching... however if that is what you want, more power to you! Best of Luck!

Cullen.

Avoid the University of Southern Mississippi. In the past 5 years, Music funding has been cut to 10% of what it once was. The marching band that used to be 350 memebers is now struggling to get 200 on the field and may not make our famous spellout. And worst of all the College of the Arts was cut, and consolidated into the College of Liberal Arts. This means that the school of music (which is now the department of music) will have to compete for funding with english and history. This is very sad since at one time USM was was one of the best schools for music in the nation.

Well, I know that Appalachian State in Boone, NC is a great music school, and plus its beautiful out there!! I do agree that its a big question, cause you have to think about what you want to do, how much you want to pay for it, and how far away you want to go to get there. Like some schools are more towards music ed (UNC CH ampssuck ), and others are designed for the performance major. There are a lot of schools out there, and i bet you can find the perfect one for you! Just do some research, and youll be surprised at the results. (Oh, btw, idk if youd want to come to NC State, cause we kinda dont have a major in music :rolleyes: . . .we do have a minor tho!!!!!! b**bs )

People come from all parts of the globe to study music at Berklee. My friend is a professor there (he arranged for the Crusaders in 2002). An excellent school for a musician of any kind, from what I've heard.

LSU! LSU! LSU! LSU!

www.music.lsu.edu

I have many friends of whom I work with who went to LSU with me (late 80's).

Not only are the concert bands awesome but the "Golden Band from Tiger Land" marching band won the 2002 Sudler Trophy (which is the equivalent of the Heisman Trophy for football). I urge you to at least look into it. I promise you won't be dissapointed!

:)

G.M.

Edited by GMan