Soprnos/Trumpets

Captainwelch

Out of the market for sopranos (trumpets) which would you preffer to march a season on  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Out of the market for sopranos (trumpets) which would you preffer to march a season on

• (Bb) Kanstul (Similar to Bluecoats sops)
    • (Bb) Kanstul- Col
    • (Bb) Dynasty
    • (Bb) Yamaha
    • (Bb) King
    • (Bb) Bach Strad
    • (Bb) Cornet- any brand
    • (G) kanstul
    • (G) Dynasty

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mafields627
THANK YOU!!!!

LOL. I play a strad. Thankfully our local music store rep and my HS band director are good friends. Somehow, I got a good one however, I long for a Kanstul or a Wild Thing.

because they can?

The Bach Stradivarius is definitely the heaviest trumpet I've ever held! Not that it matters but just thought I'd share...

Bachs aren't heavy. A friend of mine has a Monette. I like to call it a Tonka Dump Truck. It sure plays great though. I wish I could waste more than a few thousand on a chunk of gold plated brass. :(

The biggest difference between Bb and G is this voice. Trumpets are not made to carry near as well as the bugle, and it really shows. The Kanstul G Powerbore really carries above and beyond any Bb horn, with clarity. SCV Cadets have chosen to dump their Bb trumpets for Kanstul Sops because they couldn't purchase the rest of the line in Bb. Honestly, it's the best thing they couldv'e done because they'll definitely reach the stands better now with their sopranos.

Bach strads are great trumpets, just not for marching. I know what u mean about heavyness, during marching band season, i made a a bet with friend saying i can hold a baritone at playing position for 10 mins. I held it, but i was sore like a *****!!!!!!

Yamato has both G Kanstuls and G Dynastys. I consider the Kanstuls to be the higher quality instruments in our line of sopranos. Same goes with our Baritone line.

Kanstul powerbore in G.

The Bluecoats' version of the Bb soprano is pretty neat though. Probably a very close second. My roommate (jazz studies/ trumpet performance major) actually bought one for himself and plays it for everything.

I played a bach for most of the camps in 2001 (even drill camp) since we were out of bugles. It didn't do some of the things I like about the kanstul soprano, but it wasn't a bad experience. It taught me to read down a minor third too. :) The bad part about that is I got to play a bugle here and there at camps and when playing from memory my ear told my brain to push down Bb fingerings for the pitches it heard.

Since I'm John's double major roommate I feel obliged to mention that yes, I do own a Bach C, and a Bb 37 and I do use those when properly threatened by orchestra conductors or people with money. BUT, since I got to fix (most of) the crap that was wrong with the prototype that Kanstul sent us it was fairly inevitable that I was going to like how it turned out, and if you had to play lead for a salsa band and you had a Bach star bell 37 and a .470 bore heavy wall kanstul with a powerbore leadpipe to chose from?

Ryan

For anyone out there whining about a trumpet's weight (oh no, Monette's are heavy! :o ).

Hold a Euphonium for three minutes---that will clear up any misconceptions about heaviness! ^0^

THANK YOU!

i just laugh when trumpets cry about one being heavier than another...