Ghost Riders 2008

Hey Bob, From the sounds of your post, where you goin?

Hey Brian I will continue with the White Sabers as lead soprano & soloist and part of the brass staff. The Sabers are looking at developing a Mini Corp for local area parades and functions (not to compete at DCA) that I would be able to do. I am also interested in performing more with the Genesee Valley Brass my brass quintet which has been very active.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good man, that Bob Rex. :tic:

Hey Donny it was a great pleasure playing for you and being a part of the Ghost Riders this year. What I enjoyed the most was watching you work with the horn line. I have learned so much the past 2 years that I can use in what ever group I am associated with. I enjoyed being around quality musicians like yourself. That is what I get out of being involved with this activity called Drum Corp. Well, along with some nice cold ones (LOL) doesn't hurt. Thanks DONNY

Hey Donny it was a great pleasure playing for you and being a part of the Ghost Riders this year. What I enjoyed the most was watching you work with the horn line. I have learned so much the past 2 years that I can use in what ever group I am associated with. I enjoyed being around quality musicians like yourself. That is what I get out of being involved with this activity called Drum Corp. Well, along with some nice cold ones (LOL) doesn't hurt. Thanks DONNY

Even when I was screaming at Doug???? LOL

Donny

Maybe it was you? LOL

I'm a snare drummer,,,it didn't change my life much. just alot of scambling around as the seasons started for managment

I'm a snare drummer,,,it didn't change my life much. just alot of scambling around as the seasons started for managment

You could do that because you were a Shawnee Indian. LOL

A scrambling Shawnee Indian.

What he says is not far from the truth, Keith. And there are many people that feel the way he does. I just feel that I learned so much that I didnt let the other stuff bother me as much...except 1974. We made finals anyway, because Jerry Kelsey stepped up to the plate. When Corky showed up in ITHACA with a Purple Lancers shirt on, many parents and students were a little upset with him. But again, I did not know WHY he quit in the first place. So I didnt hold it against him.

Donny

Ghost Riders from Parts Unknown have formed an alliance with the Rochester Crusaders for the 2008 season.

Ghost Riders’ Co-Directors Doug Mellenthine and Rod Keppel along with Crusaders’ Director Mike Linton announced that they will be working closer together in 2008. With this alliance, Ghost Riders will be transitioning to Bb horns and are looking forward to help support the Crusaders in their quest to improve on their 2007 finish at the DCA Championships.

Of importance, The Ghost Riders will still maintain their valued friendships and connections with Mighty St. Joe’s, Empire Statesmen and The White Sabers.

“We are blessed to be in an area of many quality Drum Corps and with the transition of going to Bb’s we anticipate attracting not only experienced Drum Corps and Band members, but also musicians from the area colleges and schools” stated Doug Mellenthine.

The Ghost Riders has a limited parade schedule and perform in at least 5 standstills including the Mini-Corps contest in Harrisburg Pa. in April and the DCA Championships over Labor Day week-end in Rochester, NY.

The Ghost Riders are also planning on more corporate performances and are actively pursuing this avenue of entertainment.

The Ghost Riders are pleased to have retained Donny Allen to arrange their program for the coming year. The competitive music for 2008 will be Ghost Riders in the Sky, Red Pony (Aaron Copeland) and William Tell Overture. Parade Tunes will consist of Black Saddle, Rio, Battle Hymn of Republic and others yet to be decided. More arrangements will be added for indoor shows and performances.

The Ghost Riders, along with openings in the horn line, are also looking for additional percussionist and guard members. Anyone wishing to join this fine organization, you can contact Doug Mellenthine MelloDoug1@aol.com or Rod Keppel rkeppel1@rochester.rr.com . (The Ghost Riders Practice in Batavia NY)

If you want the entire Drum Corps experience, and are looking to march in a top 10 DCA Corps, consider the up and coming Rochester Crusaders. You can contact the Recruiting Coordinator Brian Wilt at brianwilt@rochestercrusaders.org Visit the Crusaders at www.rochestercrusaders.org

If you are considering an easier schedule and want Drum Corps “lite”, consider Mighty St. Joe’s Alumni Corps as some Ghost Riders also perform with MSJ. You can contact Bob Wielgosz at awielgos@rochester.rr.com (Mighty St. Joe’s practices in Leroy NY). Visit MSJ’s at http://mightystjoes.com/

Sounds like a great relationship has been established. Good luck in '08 GR.

Scott

Ever play one of those Bb's Scott?

Donny

I would like to say that it was a pleasure to be a part of the Ghost Riders organization for the last 2 years. I would like to thank Rod, Doug, Donny, Joey and all the other Ghost Riders for making it a great couple of years.

Bob

Bob, these are my sentiments exactly. I enjoyed playing with you and the rest of those affiliated with GR. It was a pleasure to be with a dedicated group who shared the passion of impact brass (and percussion... :) Jackson!).

I applaud the alliance with the Rochester Crusaders. I think this was a wise move which promises to be mutually beneficial. Also, I think the move to B flat for mini corps is a good one though I can appreciate Jerry's sentiments. I am a fan of the G sound for outdoor performance (one needs to look no farther than Cabs Alumni vs. Cabs competitive corps to appreciate the difference in sound), but for indoor venues, the superior slotting of B flats just takes a layer of work off the player's shoulders. For minicorps, full and in tune ensemble work is the standard being set by Star United and, as with any competitive activity, a level playing field is important.

As far as the future of B flat use in corps, I would wager that these instruments will be better adapted to outdoor playing with larger bells and bigger bore as the activity continues to evolve. After all, we all want it to sound like drum corps!

I look forward to hearing good things from GR in the future!