For those of you who have marched corps

Just wondering, for anyone who has marched with a drum corps, wondering how many have chosen a career in a music related field. This can be a musical performer, musician, vocalist, instructor, working in a music recording studio, writing/designing drill, or any music related field.

I have seen several members on here talking about their drill writing, and wondered how many others have actually gone on to work in the music field. I have the feeling there are a lot of people here who have some sort of music career going, as you have to be very passionate about music to do drum corps(especially those who have marched year after year)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I still teach marching band camp over my summers - though, my law related activities will be putting an end to that this summer. Additionally I get paid to play in the basketball pep band for the undergrad where I'm doing my grad work. I wouldn't really say it's a career - but it keeps me involved.

So yeah, I am in a field that is in no way related to music but still try to keep it in my life.

You should make a poll!

I am a musician with a day job. The bulk of my income is from software marketing, but my reason for being is music - teaching, writing and performing.

a poll would be great. I myself did not go into a music career. ( law enforcement complete opposite) but I am now in a position to be more active throught being a fan and volunteer.

Drum corps had a great effect on my life in many ways outside of music.

I'm currently studying for a degree in Music Business & Recording Technologies. And I plan to march my third year (age-out) this summer.

I am currently attending the North Carolina School of the Arts for acting. I marched Glassmen 2007 and I am auditioning for Crown 2008. Its hard to be at a conservatory and work out the schedule for doing drum corps. I age out in 2009 and I plan to march. Right now it looks like my school schedule will not allow it :( , but if I can't work it out I plan transfering to a liberal arts university where I can persue both acting and music and be able to march corps.

I am currently attending the North Carolina School of the Arts for acting. I marched Glassmen 2007 and I am auditioning for Crown 2008. Its hard to be at a conservatory and work out the schedule for doing drum corps. I age out in 2009 and I plan to march. Right now it looks like my school schedule will not allow it :( , but if I can't work it out I plan transfering to a liberal arts university where I can persue both acting and music and be able to march corps.

Band director and percussion instructor...going on 15 years.

I'm a music teacher in a private school where all artistic activities are curricular, not extra-curricular. (i.e. art, music, drama and movement are woven into the school year for all students) Music occurs all year long for all students. Specifically, I teach:

General music in grades 3-5

Choral music in grades 4-5

Middle school girls chorus (mixture of 6-8th graders)

Middle school band

High School chorus

High school music elective (I'm doing a "Stomp" styled elective this year)

That's 9 curriculum tracks each year. Yeah, I'm busy and I'm paid about 10K less than public school music teachers in my region. But I have a dream job that includes the full support of the parents and the school, I don't have to fight for my budget, and I don't have to drag my kids to a zillion contests (or even just 1) to justify my program.

(As a matter of background I'm a vocalist and concert percussionist by training and have a bachelor and master of music in Music Theory with a minor in Music History.)

I'm currently doing my undergrad in Music Education. Plan on going to grad school for trumpet performance, hopefully out in CA. we'll see where it goes from there, but I will be doing music as my career.

No, music didn't become a career for me.

But I'll always play drums and percussion, and it's a very nice thing to have had the training and ability I learned in both school and corps to play and read music.