Phantom Regiment announces 2008 show...SPARTACUS!

You Phantom Phanboys are really something!

Am I the only one that finds the Spartacus score anachronistic, boring, and sorta... campy?

I blame it on my age.

Is there anyone under 25 who is actually interested in this show?

Spartacus is a gay classic...so i guess that title fits...i can't say the same for the rest.

and this 25 y/o thinks its gonna be FABULOUS!

One thing for sure - JD Shaw is gonna paint this up and down with mello licks.

think of how paint peeling it'll be if they expand the mello line thx to the new member quota rule?!?!? b**bs

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think of how paint peeling it'll be if they expand the mello line thx to the new member quota rule?!?!? b**bs

If they increase their mello line, I'm going to have a heart attack.

You Phantom Phanboys are really something!

Am I the only one that finds the Spartacus score anachronistic, boring, and sorta... campy?

I blame it on my age.

Is there anyone under 25 who is actually interested in this show?

I've heard from quite a few people under 25, so I guess we'll see. It looks like you endured the boredom of 16 pages of the Spartacus love-fest and made it to this point in one piece. Congratulations and thanks for checking in with us to tell us how #### boring it is.

As for anachronisim...there's plenty of that in drum corps these days, and I don't hear too much complaining. As a matter of fact, this entire activity is an anachronism in many, many ways.

Since when is good music held to supposed standards of chronology, in any genre. not just here? I guess if it's old, it must be rotten.

Hey, a little aging never hurt anyone - one day you'll stop blaming your age, you'll credit your experience, and thus find the real root of your issues. Maybe even enjoy something that endures the test of time.

Better go see what's hot over on iTunes before it becomes passe`. Hope you're not on dialup because you'll HATE the new Brittany Spears release by the time it gets done downloading.

I don't think we had librettos in 82. :tic: I was there both years of Spatacus. I think that is what hurt us that year. The crowd, especially at DCI, didn't seem to understand the changes made to the show. All in an effort to save money. Oh well 2008 will make up for it.

Dana

PR contra 81-85

I don't think we had librettos in 82. :tic: I was there both years of Spatacus. I think that is what hurt us that year. The crowd, especially at DCI, didn't seem to understand the changes made to the show. All in an effort to save money. Oh well 2008 will make up for it.

Dana

PR contra 81-85

Hey Dana - I've got an 82 libretto with your name on it right here...what's the easiest way to get it to you?

I am not talking about just music, I am saying that most people are confusing Sparta and Spartacus.

Ah, gotcha. Though, the person who mentioned the music from the 300 probably wasn't confused by that at all. I think he just thought the soundtrack from The 300 would befit what is sure to be an action-intensive show by PR. But I read people wrong alot, obviously.

I've heard from quite a few people under 25, so I guess we'll see. It looks like you endured the boredom of 16 pages of the Spartacus love-fest and made it to this point in one piece. Congratulations and thanks for checking in with us to tell us how #### boring it is.

As for anachronisim...there's plenty of that in drum corps these days, and I don't hear too much complaining. As a matter of fact, this entire activity is an anachronism in many, many ways.

Since when is good music held to supposed standards of chronology, in any genre. not just here? I guess if it's old, it must be rotten.

Hey, a little aging never hurt anyone - one day you'll stop blaming your age, you'll credit your experience, and thus find the real root of your issues. Maybe even enjoy something that endures the test of time.

Better go see what's hot over on iTunes before it becomes passe`. Hope you're not on dialup because you'll HATE the new Brittany Spears release by the time it gets done downloading.

I guess I struck a chord, especially with you. I wonder if I would have taken your argument more seriously if you weren't a member of the very corps that marched Spartacus! Biased-much?

I guess you're not understanding the term "anachronistic" particularly well (those online dictionaries can be a little tricky sometimes!)

There's a giant difference between a piece of music that is classic and enduring and music that is well, old and out of place (see: anachronistic). Good music NECESSARILY transcends chronology. That's the difference between the bachs, the mozarts, the beethovens, the mahlers, and the no-name composers of yester-century.

Also, what's so anachronistic about drum corps these days? To me, it's a whole new beast, evolved, and of it's particular time. I'm sure today's drum corps is vastly different from the past; I do expect drum corps to change in the future. Now, perhaps the term "drum corps" is anachronistic, but the form and the idea of drum corps is not (we're just arguing semantics here now). (not particularly useful for my argument)

Lastly, I don't understand your use of logic. Since I think Spartacus is boring, that equates me as someone who lacks necessary experience to appreciate it? Huh? Also, I don't quite follow how a disagreement in preference and opinion makes me a vapid, trend-following consumer?

Simply put, I don't like Spartacus. I don't understand how that makes me stupid.

Edited by just_another_fanatic