Nice Article on Marching (Band)

My wife showed me this article in the local paper this morning. This isn't drum corps specific, but the writer has a good handle on what it takes to make a marching arts show come together. If you've marched drum corps, you'll see yourself in this article.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...D=2007711130302

This region puts a lot of emphasis on marching band, but it still doesn't make the paper often, so this was nice to see. There's usually several kids from around here marching DCI world class corps each summer.

Wow.. a great article.

I would love to know what the author's motivation was. What experience inspired him to write the article? Great job of climbing into the band members' skin!!

Great article - I too wonder what his motivation was.

I'd like for him to go on tour with a corps - for even one week.

Nice article, very nice. Wasn't there another article about band in the Chicago Tribune or Chicago Sun-Times?

You may be referring to the Chicago Tribune book review section from a few weeks ago. They reviewed the book "American Band," which is a year-in-the-life look at the Concord High School marching band in Elkhart, Ind. The book is excellent, not only delving into what makes a successful marching band, but also looking at the kids, the directors, the parents - just about anybody involved in a great band program.

Great article - I too wonder what his motivation was.

I'd like for him to go on tour with a corps - for even one week.

If DCI gives Sioux Falls a drum corps show next summer, I'll suggest to him that he try to spend a day with a corps. The newspaper gave a fair amount of coverage to the show last year due to the large number of local members in the participating drum corps.

Edited by sdstar

You may be referring to the Chicago Tribune book review section from a few weeks ago. They reviewed the book "American Band," which is a year-in-the-life look at the Concord High School marching band in Elkhart, Ind. The book is excellent, not only delving into what makes a successful marching band, but also looking at the kids, the directors, the parents - just about anybody involved in a great band program.

Or this one on Mitch Rogers

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...1&cset=true