now that corps can march 150

sizes  

248 members have voted

1. 1. what section(s) will be most affected by the increase to 150 members?

• brass
    • drumline
    • pit
    • guard

I see

------

24 trumpets

14 mellos

26 bari's

12 contra

------------

76 brass - 64 brass + 12 contra = 76

drill needs multiple of 8x8=64

38 high brass

38 low brass

10 snare

5 bass

5 quads

5 cymbal

--------------

25 field perc.

12 pit

37 percussion.

3 conductors

34 guard.

-----------------

150 members.

LL

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to thing visually and the numbers, in an ideal situation, would allow block formations.

The horn line would break down into what I believe will become standard, 72 members (although instrumentation will vary).

24 Sops

14 Mellos

10 Baris

10 Euphs

14 Contras.

Allows for a 8 x 9 block. The next block size up would be a 9 x 9 block which is too big.

The drumline will be 24 members

9 Snares (10 or more becomes a cleaning issue)

5 Tenors

5 Bases

5 Plates

Allows for a block of 6 x 4 or 3 x 8, which fits with an 8 x 9 horn block.

The guard could grow to 40. Many different configurations with that number including an 8 x 5 block. The entire marching ensemble could be in an 8 x 17 block or echelon.

That leave 2 drum majors and 12 in the pit.

Where are those extra 20 ANYTHING going to go? Next question!

20 extra flag bags are going to go in the aisle of the equipment truck.

Do you mean 33%? 15 extra flags is about 50% more expenses, 15 more battery is almost 100% more expenses. You're adding expenses anywhere you add people.

of course you are. simple economics. horns are WAY more expensive than guard equipment, and considerably more expensive than drums for the sponsored corps.

How about 64 played really well, plus 15 played so-so?

i'm not taking "so-so" players into my hornline for the sake of being big.

i noticed that you conveniently skipped the part about it being nearly impossible to fill a hornline.

you all aren't getting it.

If any corps, not currently in the top 4 plans for 75-80 brass are going to be in for a rude awakening. You can plan all the spots you want, you won't get the kids. Brass players are the most coveted commodity in drum corps today. There are drummers galore and guard is more popular due to the advent of WGI. Brass players are sought after.

So, plan for 80 horns if you want, and I'll watch your holes close down week before finals. Because you won't get enough kids to fill those holes.

i'm not taking "so-so" players into my hornline for the sake of being big.

What if those extra players mean more revenue from the extra tuition? Isn't that the reason they upped the limit to 150?

i noticed that you conveniently skipped the part about it being nearly impossible to fill a hornline.

'Cause that's the only one I wasn't arguing with.

What if those extra players mean more revenue from the extra tuition? Isn't that the reason they upped the limit to 150?

'Cause that's the only one I wasn't arguing with.

I believe the real motivation for raising the limit to 150 was to max out bus capacity. Most corps rent buses instead of owning them and 135 members left several blank seats, which I guess must have seemed like enough of an inefficiency that the member cap was raised.

I believe the real motivation for raising the limit to 150 was to max out bus capacity. Most corps rent buses instead of owning them and 135 members left several blank seats, which I guess must have seemed like enough of an inefficiency that the member cap was raised.

That's right...another 15K-20K in tuition with no added bus expense. Food is cheap, so that added cost is very low.

most corps look like they are adding cymbal lines (future battery members)

I think guard spots will go toward the 40 mark.

Brass might get to be around 70.

Numbers might break out like this:

2 DMs

40 Guard

12 Pit

70 Brass

20 Battery 9 - 5 - 6 or 11 - 4 - 5

6 Cymbals

The cymbals could increase by one and one less in the battery.

But that's about the numbers as I see them.

So by the addition of at least 6-7 new spots, the drums win in most cases. 4-5 more horns, 4-5 more guard

most corps look like they are adding cymbal lines (future battery members)

If they are in the cymbal line, wouldn't they be current battery members?

Why can't we add cymbal players instead of future snare drummers. This is the reason cymbal lines started getting cut in the first place.

If they are in the cymbal line, wouldn't they be current battery members?

Why can't we add cymbal players instead of future snare drummers. This is the reason cymbal lines started getting cut in the first place.

Actually, in my day the cymbal players were mostly the younger kids who were indeed snares and tenors in waiting.