Instruments on an airplane

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, well it sounded as if you were trying to advertise different corps and point me in another direction.

And actually, I have been asked a few times about why I want to march Regiment, and since I was such a #$%% about it.

I have a few friends that have marched there and I absolutely love their attitude and presentation.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the lameness

niteblaze102 you weren't the one who was a #$%% in that conversation. I can't imagine anyone that is interested in sponsoring you being concerned that you told someone that it wasn't their business where you marched, when they jumped into a conversation on how to get your instrument on the plane and mouthed off that you should march in a local corps . You're doing just fine.

Best of luck on your audition.

If it's only 3 inches over, then I woudl highly recommend talking to someone at the gate. Since it's such a small margin over the size cap they will probably let you take it on board with you.

Most airlines are understanding about instruments, and if it doesn't cause them tremendous hassle then they will allow you to bring it on board

Edited by kaplac

Good luck on the flight and especially the audition. If you don't make the cut (heaven forbid) look at honing your skills with a local corps like the Corvets. They have a kickXXX low brass line.

I gate check my French horn whenever I fly with it. Most of the time I watch them load it with the flight attendants' baggage because I have a fixed bell horn with an oddly shaped Protec gig bag. I've yet to have any problems with damages to the instrument. Much less, not finding it at the baggage claim... unlike 2006 when a certain airline company lost my corps mellophone TWICE. I was not a happy camper (literally).

Flight Attendants only use carry-on, so there's no need to "load" their luggage on the plane.

You can gate check it, but it'll still get loaded in the regular luggage bay, and you'll still have to claim it at baggage claim.

Regarding carrying on oversize items, it is not at the Flight Attendant's discretion to allow these items, especially if it violates a company policy or, worse, an FAR (federal air regulation).

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

This is possibly too little too late, but.... keep it with you until you get to the plane. if you're fotunate, and there's an empty seat, they may let you strap it in. some aircrafts have closets that they can put it in. Find an agent who's a musician. (we're everywhere you know.)

People have been bringing guitars on board for centuries... for the noblest of intruments it should be even more important.

If you have to surrender it, stay with it on the jetway until an agent comes to take it to the hold. If necessary offer him or her a $5 or so to take care of it. they'll probably turn it down anyway, but they'll appreciate the consideration.

You'd be amazed at how many musicians work for airlines due to the funky hours and the free travel (present company included)... plus there are old drum corps people like me who work for airlines so our kids can fly all over the country for free to do drum corps (Thank god they're all aged out now - I can retire soon....)

Good luck... I assume you love the Getzen. I have no experience with that horn. what makes it wonderful?