Getting Better

check out your technique. Maybe there is something that you are/aren't doing that is hindering you from doing specific things. I know for one, for a while no matter how much I practiced, my flam drags never got better. I realized that the pressure I put on my fulcrum was preventing my diddles from being even, so I started focusing on that. Since then I've never had a problem with them.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'll be slowing down all my exerices. Any more advice?
check out your technique. ...

not just agreeing with Jofus cuz he's a fellow Scouty, but he is right.

Don't worry about so much WHAT you play, but how you play whatever you are playing, even if it's just messin' around. As Fred Sanford used to say (and many others used to say, too...) "Practice makes perfect, but only when you practice perfectly." Concentrate more on consistency and clarity, even the very easy stuff.

My chops built up more when I played to songs I liked. For instance, I would play my own made up exercises to like Van Halen songs (yep, I'm old)... simple riff things that had a hook so I could play right along with it doing paradiddles or flam taps or whatever. I may not be able to do it again the same way twice from a "same pattern" standpoint, but I payed attention to what I played from the technique point of view rather than what pattern I was playing. I know there are many guys and girls who can show up to practices and start rippin out flam drags that are at super sonic speed or they have memorized all of SCV's paradiddle warm up or the entire Jonz DVD or BD's warm up from YouTube. That's great, but don't think that just because you can play super fast, or play an exercise that is well known by a lot of snare drummers by now, means you are playing well or technically correct.

sight reading something new every once in a while on something new...learn about the different time signatures...or maybe try focusing on something else thats not as hard but just something you feel like playing, for fun...I think from what i gathered in your initial posts (i didn't read the whole thread) you have just hit a naturally occurring roadblock that comes from playing and practicing the same way for a long time and just getting bored with your practice routine.

That's certainly true. Though I don't really think I'm good enough to be reaching a plateau, not yet. I've only been playing traditional grip for a year and a half, and due to massive practice it's comfortible but it's certainly not competitive div. 1 quality yet.

Any specific practice advice? Let's say I wanted to make Cavaliers next year. What would you recommend specifically?

March anywhere this year. You're only going to get the info and skills you need by being in a drum corps.

I'm a horn player. Something I did when I got to that spot is to play something different for a while. It's strange really, it just gets better.

Alright, who am I kidding. There's pretty much no way I can do dci this year. The camps themselves would pose a conflict for 2 already conflicting activities in my life that I am barely hanging on to, attendence wise. I guess I shouldn't give reasons because I'll only get "well that reason isn't good because..." Let's just opperate under the assumption I can't. I had thought of doing Alliance, but after watching them practice I changed my mind. I guess it would be fun and I'd get better but I can already play the stuff they play (my high school plays stuff at least that hard). Not perfectly of course, but I think I'd be bored of it a few camps in. And I've drummed with the center snare and...

Edited by CaviesFan1

I didn't have time to read every post, so if this has been mentioned I apologize..... I would find the nearest winter camp, pay the C-note that it takes to audition, and enjoy some of the best instruction you can find for the weekend..... The staff at any winter camp will break your #### apart (unless) your right on, and help you to improve..... the problem you may be having is not in your hands, but rather in your head. You may not have the information you need to get to the (next level) Other wise communicate in your region, see if you can find a good teacher. He or she will help so much. I would suggest attending some winter rehearsals in your area though. You will see what other kids are doing to achieve what you are looking to achieve, And you will hopefully find staff that can provide you with information on achieving those goals....

Cavies is a hugely talented drum corps and you can be the best player in the world, but if you can't fit into the line you'll never make it.

Don't sit in your room expecting to become great by your self. Every one needs a little help.......

Now go getm :bluedevil:

Alright, who am I kidding. There's pretty much no way I can do dci this year. The camps themselves would pose a conflict for 2 already conflicting activities in my life that I am barely hanging on to, attendence wise. I guess I shouldn't give reasons because I'll only get "well that reason isn't good because..." Let's just opperate under the assumption I can't. I had thought of doing Alliance, but after watching them practice I changed my mind. I guess it would be fun and I'd get better but I can already play the stuff they play (my high school plays stuff at least that hard). Not perfectly of course, but I think I'd be bored of it a few camps in. And I've drummed with the center snare and...

If you can't march, don't march.....

Go to some camps, work on your chops (in a line) and if and when they offer you a contract, tell them that your really not interested....You can get some exellent instruction for the weekend very cheep this way....

And hey, maybe youll have a great time

Well, is it important for you to be "best guy?" Or to be a good player and musician overall?

I understand wanting to be challenged, but there is a lot to be said for learning to play basic stuff well, and "cutting your teeth" a little in a line somewhere before you just jump over all that and go for being in one of THE top lines as your first or only drum corps experience. There's a whole lot more stuff that goes into being in a top drumline and drum corps than just being a great individual player.

Edited by GGarrett