Getting Better

There's a whole lot more to do with being in a top drumline than just being a great individual player.

You have to be a great marcher too! :P

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to be a great marcher too! :P

high5_2.gif

I've seen threads discussing why corps numbers are falling, especially outside of the Top 12. I think this entire thread sums it up. If you can't march, don't much. But I have this hunch that you would consider it beneath your dignity to give Open Class or even a lower World Class corps a chance even if you could. Hold on to your dreams but not at the expense of an open mind. You might find that you'll fit in better wearing red, white, purple, cream, gold; who knows. Being good doesn't make you a part of your corps.

Before I went to my corps first camp, I had it set that I'd just be using it as an experience booster to launch myself into that "dream corps." The fact is, I could do it. But because of a mind which allowed me to entertain something new, I was able to let go of a dream in favor of something better.

I think the big issue here isn't practicing and how to overcome the natural roadblocks that all experienced musicians can look at and recognize instantly (I'm not one of those musicians by any means). I think it's an example of what a lot of you guys have said. Just pointing this out.

Alright, who am I kidding. There's pretty much no way I can do dci this year. The camps themselves would pose a conflict for 2 already conflicting activities in my life that I am barely hanging on to, attendence wise. I guess I shouldn't give reasons because I'll only get "well that reason isn't good because..." Let's just opperate under the assumption I can't. I had thought of doing Alliance, but after watching them practice I changed my mind. I guess it would be fun and I'd get better but I can already play the stuff they play (my high school plays stuff at least that hard). Not perfectly of course, but I think I'd be bored of it a few camps in. And I've drummed with the center snare and...

If you are truly good enough that you would be bored at an Open Class corps, then you are ready for Cavies now. Since you do not believe you are ready for Cavies now (and I agree with you), your assumption that you would be bored at an Open Class corps leads to a serious question: What makes you think you wouldn't be bored at Cavies? They do the exact same stuff as everybody else (concerning rehearsal techniques, etc.) Lots of time on the same exercises...it's not like you spend the whole time playing Flam I Am. And the reason corps and winterlines spend so much time on basics is so that everyone can learn to play them exactly the same. Just because you can play something pretty well to your ears doesn't mean you can do it in a line consistently.

Look, I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, but Cavies tryouts are VERY competitive, like 90 kids for 3 spots competitive. The best thing you can do is get some experinece somewhere else first, and if you can't do that, find some other people to drum with who are better than you and you'll learn things from them that maybe you haven't thought of. But you really need to be playing in a line, because there are things you'll have to learn about how to play clean in a line that noone can tell you and that you can't learn on your own.

If you are truly good enough that you would be bored at an Open Class corps, then you are ready for Cavies now. Since you do not believe you are ready for Cavies now (and I agree with you), your assumption that you would be bored at an Open Class corps leads to a serious question: What makes you think you wouldn't be bored at Cavies? They do the exact same stuff as everybody else (concerning rehearsal techniques, etc.) Lots of time on the same exercises...it's not like you spend the whole time playing Flam I Am. And the reason corps and winterlines spend so much time on basics is so that everyone can learn to play them exactly the same. Just because you can play something pretty well to your ears doesn't mean you can do it in a line consistently.

Look, I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, but Cavies tryouts are VERY competitive, like 90 kids for 3 spots competitive. The best thing you can do is get some experinece somewhere else first, and if you can't do that, find some other people to drum with who are better than you and you'll learn things from them that maybe you haven't thought of. But you really need to be playing in a line, because there are things you'll have to learn about how to play clean in a line that noone can tell you and that you can't learn on your own.

Yeah, there's some misinterpretation in that. I NEVER said that I'd be bored at an open class corps, I suggested that I MAY be bored at Alliance (non competitive dca) but not at an open class corps. I know I wouldn't be bored there, but I can't do it. And there are quite a few good reasons I wouldn't be bored at Cavies.

Yeah, there's some misinterpretation in that. I NEVER said that I'd be bored at an open class corps, I suggested that I MAY be bored at Alliance (non competitive dca) but not at an open class corps. I know I wouldn't be bored there, but I can't do it. And there are quite a few good reasons I wouldn't be bored at Cavies.

Ok, fair enough on the misinterpretation. My apologies.

I still stick to what I said, though. You need to be drumming with other people. If you can't march, I get that, I went through that too, but endeavor to find some people to drum with who are marching or get in a winterline or something. It's pretty rare for someone to make a top-tier line without some experience in either DCI or WGI under their belt.

I'm doing WGI at my school. Did it last year too. Find some people to drum with... would love to. Don't really know where to start!

Hey man, you should really stop by www.snarescience.com/forums (NOT A SHAMELESS ADVERTISEMENT), register, and introduce yourself, we would be more then happy to help you out. Or post on the percussion planet forums on the main boards here.

Edited by PhantomPhan1989