Bass Drum Sizes

You need one of those big honkin' ones like Phantom used in the 70's (when pits still marched, but that's a different topic) - their big one was 42" I believe

I think I know what you mean. Our biggest was a 36 and we thought that was Godzilla. BAC used to carry a huge one too. I think the companys started to vary the width a bit more and head technology began improving, which allowed the instuctors more latitude in varying the tone and pitch, so they didn't need as much drum to get as much volume.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for the input, keep the opinions coming.

I've gotten some feedback that 16s don't project well, what do you all think?

The high school line I was a bass tech for used a 14. IMO stay away from the 14 inch drum for sure, its just so small that it becomes difficult to get alot of sound out of it. I would use a 16, I think it projects just fine. Thats what I think.

The high school line I was a bass tech for used a 14. IMO stay away from the 14 inch drum for sure, its just so small that it becomes difficult to get alot of sound out of it. I would use a 16, I think it projects just fine. Thats what I think.

a.........14? :blink:

I felt like I was beating a taut beanie baby.

I think we called them tenor drums back in the day.

yep.. i've heard of indoor lines using 14's. i actually know of one that used a 14" tom on top. as far as outdoors... no way.

if you're just dealing with a high school i wouldn't worry about the 16 not projecting enough. i hate to say it, but it's just high school.