Bass Drum Sizes

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when I marched, we used 18, 20, 24, 28, 32. Thats pretty much what I prefer in a corps setting but most high school kids can't handle a drum that big.

For a high school setting, I prefer 16, 18, 20, 24, 28. This year I had a mostly freshman bass line and they were all kind of small. I was only able to march 4 this year and I had to go 16, 18, 20, 24. No matter how i tuned that bottom drum, I just couldn't get enough bottom end out of it to make me happy.

when I marched, we used 18, 20, 24, 28, 32. Thats pretty much what I prefer in a corps setting but most high school kids can't handle a drum that big.

For a high school setting, I prefer 16, 18, 20, 24, 28. This year I had a mostly freshman bass line and they were all kind of small. I was only able to march 4 this year and I had to go 16, 18, 20, 24. No matter how i tuned that bottom drum, I just couldn't get enough bottom end out of it to make me happy.

Had that problem this year, we ran with 16, 18, 24, 28 just thought I'd add some input

My optimal high school set is 18/20/22/24/28. You could also move them up 2" to 16/18/20/22/26, particularly if you do indoor. But 18-28 allows you to use a 28 that shouldn't be too heavy and nasty. Depending on the drum co., usually it's the 28 that they start making thinner, and thus is a smidge lighter than the 26. Besides the obvious help in natural range, it's also easier on the back.

My 2c. If you have some more details, I'd be glad to add to the info.

for a high school, use 18,20,22,24,28

if you have a bigger kid, then get 18,20,22,26,30 (30 gives a much better bottom tone than 28)

although, we used 18,22,24,28,32 my sophomore year in high school (i marched 5th). we used Pearls; the exact same ones SCV used in 91.

if you have the kids for it, use 18,20,24,28,32. that is "simply the best" to rip off VF, lol

Edited by Gbassman5

for a high school, use 18,20,22,24,28

if you have a bigger kid, then get 18,20,22,26,30 (30 gives a much better bottom tone than 28)

although, we used 18,22,24,28,32 my sophomore year in high school (i marched 5th). we used Pearls; the exact same ones SCV used in 91.

if you have the kids for it, use 18,20,24,28,32. that is "simply the best" to rip off VF, lol

Totally agree. Just be sure you'll be able to sleep at night; if you're killing a kid's back forever because a little guy is swingin' a 32... I say don't even think it. If you have a nosetackle, try it. Just remember that the kids in DCI that are swingin 30s and 32s are generally 2+ years out of their high school senior year, and are physically developed.

It's all about the 32. If I could march it at a short 5'6" white boy level in college, your kids can handle it.

And yes, I requested to march it back in my day. Who wants to march the petite 20" when you can have the big boom of "fat b**tard"? *flub flub flub*

Totally agree. Just be sure you'll be able to sleep at night; if you're killing a kid's back forever because a little guy is swingin' a 32... I say don't even think it. If you have a nosetackle, try it. Just remember that the kids in DCI that are swingin 30s and 32s are generally 2+ years out of their high school senior year, and are physically developed.

yeah, don't put a freshman on it. their back won't be able to hadle it

i love the tone on a 32 though.... :mmm: :beer::blink:

Looking into a new set of drums for my HS line (soon). What sizes are some of the World Class lines using?

A little off topic I know, but thanks in advance!

Just be aware that the average age of most World Class DCI corps is in the 20-year-old range...in HS, members are mostly 14-17/18 tops.