Phantom Regiment 2008 Spartacus

OK, I haven't put any thought into what music the corps WOULD use if this were the case, but let's assume that, like 'Faust' (with no actual Faust-themed musical selections), the 2008 version of 'Spartacus' has no or little music from Aram Khatchaturian (sp). What would the corps be performing??

Predictions? Thoughts?

Obviously, this kind of grew out of my other thread, and I predicted this in there around page 6 while being blasted by one of this year's auditionees, which, BTW, I hope you attend North Texas or are really, really good, otherwise that title (auditionee...drumline) will continue to apply. Good luck regardless.

Having not put any thought into the actual selections, I'll have to take a look and come back. Probably a little bit of R&J...the Spartacus ballad...I would almost say Scythian Suite except hey that was a recent selection...Rachmaninoff 'Symphonic Dances,' perhaps? Also a repeat, but...

If you guys put some thought into this, it could be an equally interesting conversation.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly some music from 300?

Not really their... timeperiod I suppose, but it would fit the theme...

Edited by SF2K4

Ooooooohhh...good call!

That is totally what i said. Hm...

as a secondary thought... this could be a very cool year for "period" shows. I mean, Phantom is doing Spartacus and The Cavies are doing Samurai... i wonder what other ideas are flying around out there. MAYBE The Cadets will do a 2001 Space Odyssey show and they will launch a new guard member into the atmosphere each night.... I'm not hating on the Guard members out there. Obviously I'd be ok with launching GH into the air, but that would have to be for the GE points on Finals night. ... ok, sorry. just random thought.

Seriously though, I am running the gambit of my music history knowledge trying to come up with a symphonic piece or wind literature that is relevant to the subject. I'm not coming up with very much. I think Sparta and I think Gods of War... There aren't many specific options on this either. Mars, perhaps? This is probably going to be a brilliant collaboration like they did with Faust. They didn't actually use any of the Liszt work at all. However, they incorporated Mahler 2, which given the Resurrection theme/title, was just perfect. Mars is my best guess for a directly related subject matter.

Edited by MelloChick1117

Spartacus =/= Sparta. They are two completely different things.

"Spartacus (ca. 120 BC[1] – ca. 70 BC), according to Roman historians, was a gladiator-slave who became the leader (or possibly one of several) in the unsuccessful slave uprising against the Roman Republic known as the Third Servile War. Little is known about Spartacus beyond the events of the war, and the surviving historical accounts are sketchy and often contradictory. Spartacus' struggle, often perceived as the struggle of an oppressed people fighting for their freedom against a slave-owning aristocracy, has found new meaning for modern writers since the 19th century. The figure of Spartacus, and his rebellion, has become an inspiration to many modern literary and political writers, who have made the character of Spartacus an ancient/modern folk hero.

Sparta (Doric: Σπάρτα Spártā, Attic: Σπάρτη Spártē) was a Dorian Greek military city-state, originally centered in Laconia. Sparta emphasized military training, and after achieving notable victories over the Athenian and Persian Empires, regarded itself as the natural protector of Greece.[1] Laconia or Lacedaemon (Λακεδαίμων) was the name of the wider city-state centered at the city of Sparta, though the name "Sparta" is now used for both. The Kings of Sparta were believed to be the direct descendants of Heracles.[2] "

So really, you're guess is as good as mine... They could take it literally or figuratively.

Who cares if Sparta = Spartacus. The Phantom 06 show was called Faust, and not a single piece regarding Faust was played. Ave Maria =/= Faust, but it worked. So, why on earth does it matter if they come out in 08 playing music that isn't specifically about Spartacus, and what need is there to try to prove people "wrong" (whatever that means in a thread like this) about their suggestions for music?

Anyway, Phantom doesn't usually do film music, so I'd be surprised if they did the soundtrack from the movie. Jan van der Roost wrote a pretty nifty piece called Spartacus (It's on a CD I have produced by a French Canadian wind ensemble...it also has De Meij's LOTR on it :)) that would work great for Phantom, IMO. There's a sound clip in the link I provided of the fist 30 seconds or so of the piece. It get's MUCH more bombastic, though. And I could think of any number of great classical pieces that could work for portraying different aspects of Spartacus's story. I'm really looking forward to this show.

And real quick, for those who have set up a username and password with imeem, here's a link to where you can listen to the whole van der Roost piece I was talking about:

http://refat.imeem.com/music/s3rJ_6ns/spar..._van_der_roost/

Spartacus =/= Sparta. They are two completely different things.

"Every party needs a pooper, that's why we invited you...PARTY POOPER!!" :P

Anyway, Phantom doesn't usually do film music, so I'd be surprised if they did the soundtrack from the movie. Jan van der Roost wrote a pretty nifty piece called Spartacus that would work great for Phantom, IMO. And I could think of any number of great classical pieces that could work for portraying different aspects of Spartacus's story. I'm really looking forward to this show.

I have my head stuck in the Romantic Period and early-to-mid 20th Century, so I've missed out on the van der Roost Spartacus...that would kind of prove me wrong all together, now, wouldn't it??? :blink:

Oh, and I'd love to hear your "compilation" of classical works a la 'Faust' for the 'Spartacus' show!