East Coast Jazz to Remain Inactive for 2008

Although the percussion attendance at our recent Open House was excellent and the colorguard attendance showed great promise for the spring ending of WGI, the brass attendance was dissappointing.

After a meeting with staff and management it was decided that the problem regarding the lack of brass players would be difficult to overcome. Rather than delay a decision about the coming year it would be better to inform those who attended the camp rather than have them miss out on other opportunities elsewhere.

Audition fees paid by the attendees will be refunded.

Youth In The Arts, Inc., the sponoring organization of East Coast Jazz, will continue in its efforts to raise funds for the organization.

For Tom Chopelas

David Grist

Director

East Coast Jazz

Edited by davegrist

For all of the skeptics who thought this corps MAY have been putting the cart in front of the horse by trying to start this corps back up again (I being one of them), this should prove to us that there is some wisdom taking place. Thank you ECJ for being realistic and not biting off more than you can chew. I look forward to whatever you have to bring us in the future. Timing is everything. Just because now is not the right time, doesn't mean there won't ever be a right time later. Best of luck to you guys on whatever your future holds.

Edited by cd89

... I look forward to whatever you have to bring us in the future. Timing is everything. Just because now is not the right time, doesn't mean there won't ever be a right time later. Best of luck to you guys on whatever your future holds.

I concur.

As a drum corps fan, I will miss seeing East Coast Jazz on the field again this summer.

I thank everyone from this corps for your performances on the field and wish you only the best for the future.

Guest Myusik4Jakassez

I'd like to write a calm response and say better luck next year, but I'm just too furious right now. Instead, I won't say anything.

:rolleyes:

Okay, I'm cool now. It's really disappointing to see any corps not make it to the field. Good luck next year!

Edited by Myusik4Jakassez

It's really disappointing to see any corps not make it to the field, but it's just sheer madness when it's only because of something as simple as an attendance issue.

I'm certainly not anyone who is in the know, but I am not going to assume that "attendance" is the only reason this is happening because that would be naive and gullible.

If everything else is in order,...

Stop right there....and THINK for a minute. Think about all the controversy read on this board over ECJ is recent months...and come back to earth. Everything else is most likely NOT in order. I'd say it's a pretty safe guess that the attendance issue was nothing more than easy excuse shield (easy out...whatever you want to call it) to dodge several bullets that would be FAR more damaging than this. Good for them. They were smart.

I might even go one step further and say that the low attendance was a blessing in disguise. It probably saved them a LOT of major problems down the road. Imagine (hypothetically of course...hahaha) if 200+ people showed up, payed a bunch of "NON REFUNDABLE dues" to the corps, got their hopes up high...only to find out that because of the outstanding debts the corps MAY owe were going to keep them from hitting the field anyway. THINK man. THINK!

Edited by cd89