East Coast Jazz to Remain Inactive for 2008

liebot

7th Regiment is trying to bring the interest back in CT but it hasen't been easy. As a small startup 5 years ago it was hard to get interested experienced highschool marching band members to participate so they worked with what they had and did their best. But they didn't give up, they kept trying, recruiting, building an quality staff infrastructure, and is slowly winning the interest of kids from CT, MA, NY, RI and even Canada. It is not easy but not impossible. I say this to say that ECJ can make it back but it wont be an overnight fix. It woll be a lot of hard work and willingness to deal with the rough times to make it back to the glory days.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7th Regiment is trying to bring the interest back in CT but it hasen't been easy.

Yes, but the good news is that IT'S WORKING! Every year, the corps gets better, and the commitment of the staff and the corps members is obvious when observing them during their performances and even walking around after the contest (as my friends and I like to visit the parking lot to see how 'the other half lives.' )

7th Regiment is a great example of people doing drum corps for what appears to be all of the RIGHT reasons (in my opinion, of course).

• 3 weeks later...

I just wish there were more people out there willing to be those people doing a corps for good reasons. especially here in CT and new england.

Well, even so, i think it's good that there are a few left standing.

At least there's hope.

TRUTH??? Will anyone ever know the TRUTH??? As I recall (and I know the history very well), if it were not for Tom Chopelas, the Guardsmen would never have made it out in their final year. As a matter of fact...there were several members from the 1979 Guardsmen that fled the corps in the middle of the year because of false promises of a DCI tour -- TRUTH -- the 1979 Guardsmen never made it on a tour that summer. As I recall, Tom was a huge presence in the running of the 1980 Guardsmen regardless of what you think his title was...I do remember him vividly talking to the drum corps after each performance and standing on the sidelines with his stupid suspenders. I also remember him arguing with several staff members on behalf of the marching members -- somehow I think that translates into more than just a Board member--however, I would never take away from what Mr. E contributed to the organization.

As far as original families of the Guardsmen members putting up their own money -- I am sure that is true. Back in the day, that is how drum corps stayed afloat. However, I am pretty sure those monies were for the season of 1979 and not 1980. I know that my parents provided more than my yearly dues and tour fees in order to keep whatever drum corps I marched in afloat...very different from today's activities.

I am sorry to hear about the passing of Mr. E -- he was definately a GREAT guy.

I'm a new contributor to this forum. I joined because a freind of mine who marched in Guardsman with me told me to take a look.

I was with the Ambassadors and then the Royal Marquis when Tom was involved with both. I saw how dedicated he was as director of the Marquis. He would do it all from driving buses and trucks to cooking breakfast. I remember many was the time he would argue with instructors about the corps sleeping in the morning to catch up on sleep and making sure we had food for every meal even if he had to go shopping himslef.

He stepped up to the plate when the Malden - Arlington merger split to give a financial boost to the Guardsmen who missed their tour after winning the World Open the year before because that corps ran out of money. I doubt the Guardsmen would have made it out at all otherwise. I know they didn't make the next year when the Guardsmen people decided to go on their own, but the Dips went on to be a great corps as did East Coast.

So let's keep it straight. East Coast went inactive beacuse the money ran short when the bingos dried up. Let's hope they figure out the finances so the corps can come out again.

So let's keep it straight. East Coast went inactive beacuse the money ran short when the bingos dried up. Let's hope they figure out the finances so the corps can come out again.

As long as we are keeping things straight... There were money problems long before the bingos "dried up".