East Coast Jazz to Remain Inactive for 2008

liebot

Guest Myusik4Jakassez
I'll like to start by saying your the biggest dbag in the world.

And to ECJ, I'm not surprised, but I'm disappointed that they just gave up b/c there weren't brass. That's why you recruit. If all those small corps just go inactive b/c camp attendance wasn't desired, then DCI wouldn't have much of an open class. Now if you went inactive for other reasons, then say that.

I made a similar post in the closed thread, and got DESTROYED for it. Just a heads-up. :tongue:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem wasn't that their numbers were a little "underwhelming."

The problem with the brassline was that aside from a single french horn player, there WAS NO BRASSLINE. Even if they doubled or tripled their numbers by the next camp, that means that they wouldn't have had a kid in each of the brass sections.

The problem wasn't that their numbers were a little "underwhelming."

The problem with the brassline was that aside from a single french horn player, there WAS NO BRASSLINE. Even if they doubled or tripled their numbers by the next camp, that means that they wouldn't have had a kid in each of the brass sections.

You may never ever hear what the real problem is/was.

Let's just say this. Potential members are smart shoppers. There is competition in the East for members who happen to play brass instruments. Drummers, sorry to say, are a dime a dozen in this activity.

But, the potential brass members have other options. My guess is they chose those other options because ECJ was never a guaranteed "going to field" corps not matter what hype came out of Lynn.

Also, there are well documented financial problems with the corps dating back even before two years ago. One more thing...some of the staff I have spoken with from '06 have still not been paid. So a potential member might also question how good a staff is going to stand in front of them when the staff is going to be concerned whether or not their summer turned out to be a financial loss for them.

And before we go down this pay route, I know someone mentioned how their corps' staff is voluteer and that's terrific for you and your corps' staff. ECJ's arrangement with their staff wasn't volunteer UNTIL the corps decided NOT to pay them. Staff members for Open Class corps usually don't get paid very much, maybe $500 -$750 for a tech during the summer...it's not huge. But, it was an agreement this corps evidently made to their staff and then decided not to honor this agreement,

And if there is no honor in drum corps, then why should members honor the corps with their presence. Members and potential members in this activity are smart people and drum corps management needs to understand this better.

And to ECJ, I'm not surprised, but I'm disappointed that they just gave up b/c there weren't brass. That's why you recruit. If all those small corps just go inactive b/c camp attendance wasn't desired, then DCI wouldn't have much of an open class. Now if you went inactive for other reasons, then say that.

That...and the arr./caption head peaced out...can't blame him!

Ok me speaking for me not the corps....I think it was decided to call it quits for one more year because maybe this time around we want to do things right instead of just rushing in there and doing everything not at top quality where it needs to be. When ECJ does come back it will be done right with the right staff and everything in place needing it where it needs to be meaning; outstanding debts paid, money is coming in to support the organization, and a staff to draw students in all of these attributes will provide a successful and competitive unit that ECJ once was.

When ECJ does come back it will be done right with the right staff and ...

Are you implying the staff wasn't right? I don't know about you but I thought Joe Taylor and Drew Davey were more than qualified as caption heads.

This breaking news just in... Generalissimo Francisco Franco is STILL dead.

This breaking news just in... Generalissimo Francisco Franco is STILL dead.

Yeah, I mean, I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect this happen from the get-go. It's unfortunate, but it's extremely difficult to get a folded corps back on its feet, especially one with a history of logistical issues like ECJ.

Ok me speaking for me not the corps....I think it was decided to call it quits for one more year because maybe this time around we want to do things right instead of just rushing in there and doing everything not at top quality where it needs to be. When ECJ does come back it will be done right with the right staff and everything in place needing it where it needs to be meaning; outstanding debts paid, money is coming in to support the organization, and a staff to draw students in all of these attributes will provide a successful and competitive unit that ECJ once was.

Ordering a parka for my trip to Hades.

Edited by Tom Brace

That...and the arr./caption head peaced out...can't blame him!

Why? Did he expect to get a strong 30 man hornline like the corped fielded in the past? If he had hoped of that then he was mistaken from the beg. Those legendary "small" strong hornlines ECJ had took ALOT of work to build up. 2006 was one of those years for sure and we still ending in the top 2. It's patience and time...and time as in years. Maybe ECJ need to find a patient staff that understand that the corps may NEVER be the same.