East Coast Jazz to Remain Inactive for 2008

liebot

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

or may NEVER field again. Come on....someone had to say it.

On May 11, 1996, an airline by the name of ValuJet killed 105 passengers and a crew of 5 in the Florida Everglades on flight 592 by putting an explosive cargo of oxygen generators in their cargohold. Their name was mud in the airline business and nobody would ever fly on their aircraft again.

A couple of years later, a new discount airline emerged from the same area, and today is the third largest discount airline in the US, flying under the name of AirTran.

Sometimes it takes a new brand name to rid the demons of the past.

Why? Did he expect to get a strong 30 man hornline like the corped fielded in the past? If he had hoped of that then he was mistaken from the beg. Those legendary "small" strong hornlines ECJ had took ALOT of work to build up. 2006 was one of those years for sure and we still ending in the top 2. It's patience and time...and time as in years. Maybe ECJ need to find a patient staff that understand that the corps may NEVER be the same.

Yeah, I mean just look at the middle-2000s resurgence East Coast had. They reached their competitive peak in 98-99 and then kind of fell of for awhile. It took a couple of years from 02-04 to rebuild it to the level that it was. If ECJ is going to make a return to the level it used to be at it will take a lot of time and some solid staff.

On May 11, 1996, an airline by the name of ValuJet killed 105 passengers and a crew of 5 in the Florida Everglades on flight 592 by putting an explosive cargo of oxygen generators in their cargohold. Their name was mud in the airline business and nobody would ever fly on their aircraft again.

A couple of years later, a new discount airline emerged from the same area, and today is the third largest discount airline in the US, flying under the name of AirTran.

Sometimes it takes a new brand name to rid the demons of the past.

What you neglected to include in your rendition of this fascinating tale was that ValuJet brought in the former CEO of the highly-successful Continental Airlines to help bring AirTran into reality. The addition of an outstanding NEW leadership team, combined with the acquisition of another, smaller but still successful operator, enabled the company to enter the arena as a "player."

There was far more going on than merely new paint jobs on the tail sections of old planes.

In the case of the Jazz, from what we've read here and witnessed elsewhere, it is certainly going to take more than a "new brand name" to bring this unit back to life; and I would suspect that the need for new and highly skilled leadership will be essential to a successful "launch" of a new organization. A fresh coat of paint and a new logo on broken old buses ain't gonna make them a new corps.

I know you people are probably getting tired of reading this from me, but running a drum corps in this day and age just ain't for everyone.

but running a drum corps in this day and age just ain't for everyone.

that is why we need to support this organization and let it build up again. I'm sure they will find someone that can run a drum corps effectively, ECJ just needs to get that person and then they will get back to their previous status.

all they need is time. again, we don't know how much time, all we know is that they need it.

I watch these posts often. I realize ECJ is trying hard to return. Money problems or not. I just wonder why the powers that be, old or new, never bothered to email their former members. Many of the former horn players did not go to Surf, Spartans, Citations, or any other "nearby" corps. waiting for the return this year of ECJ. Many did not follow their former staff south. After all they only took a year off due to the high cost of the California trip, supposedly. Maybe some were in some way slighted by being ignored on a personal level or felt they were forgotten. Some may have just needed to be reminded ECJ was back, out of sight out of mind. Eric, you of all people, never had any real love for the way things were done there. I realize they gave you an opportunity now, but defending Tom and the mess? I know you are defending the corps. valiantly but where are the new administrative staff and other members? An out-of-the-blue drum major and you? It's easy for others to kick the wounded bear when it's down. Just read all the posts and the lack of support from many in drumcorps. The return of ECJ would be a major inconvenience for other "local" corps. trying to get on their feet or don't want the spectre of the Jazz style looming on the horizon. Dusting off older members to return now just brings old days old ways. Where have they all been all these years? Some worked years for the Jazz where did the rest suddenly come from this year? Why didn't they help out all this time to keep the corps. from becoming inactive in the first place? Reality is reality. Don't wear rose colored glasses and blinders. Drumcorps. ain't what it used to be. You may find an occasional ally for the Jazz. Don't get me wrong, it was and will again be a great corps. with persistence from those with a like minded purpose. Just don't expect throngs of help from others. Negativity is always easier then a positive outlook, even from former members. I haven't seen a lot of help coming from their posts either. Why didn't they show up at the open house to lend a hand or offer to tech? There are few that comment here that know jack about the finances they always rant about. Tom may have done what ever it took to keep things going. Whether right or wrong in hindsight, many that complain would not have had any experiences, good or bad, without him.