Thinking Outside the Box: Show Concepts

How do you know the show won't be a tribute to Fran Tarkington instead? :tounge2:

Here's a taboo show....On the field, presenting their program...'Oh, Calcutta...'

... or "Hair".

I still think someone should tackle Mel Brooks' "The Producers". The "Springtime for Hitler" number would rock!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it wasn't the entire half of the show, the end of the Cavaliers Spin Cycle show was the beginning backwards.

I thought about that, but my biggest problem with that show was that the same people didn't end up in the same spots at the end. I understand it wouldn't have been very feasible to have the actual people back in their actual spots, but it just kind of lost some magic for me when I realized that part.

As 50% pure Scandinavian, I must express IMHO that a show about Vikings would be glamorizing violence, including raping and pillaging. But the horned hats would look cool.

I'd argue that most people would say the same thing about a Pirate show, and Madison pulled that one off pretty nice. They only killed one person! And what's wrong with glamorizing violence? Bluecoats are going to do it.... :tounge2:

I like violence in shows, at least marching band/drum corps. I might even say it's under-used compared to other topics, especially considering its prevalence in other forms of entertainment. As an artistic device, it can be extremely powerful.

"Where's the gore in drum corps?" :tounge2:

You know, I would argue that shows based off of Broadway plays have a lot higher entertainment potential with the use of amplified voice. What about plays that involve adult subject matter? Say, Sweeney Todd...or maybe Avenue Q? What is and isn't appropriate to say through a microphone at a drum corps show?

Imagine what that Avenue Q show could really be like, with a complete cast of mic'd, puppet characters and a plot that features the hornline in different roles. I mean, there's a whole lot of possibilities there that haven't been explored yet, and there wouldn't need to be any rule changes passed in order to see it happen.

"The Evolution of Man" could be a fun show. Although they might want to put warning stickers on the programs about it "only being a theory" for any shows in Cobb County :tongue:.

"The Evolution of Man" could be a fun show. Although they might want to put warning stickers on the programs about it "only being a theory" for any shows in Cobb County :tongue:.

:tounge2:

Fond memories of opening my biology textbook junior year, seeing that monstrosity, and promptly ripping it off.

Another thought: We don't see many "creepy" shows in drum corps, at least certainly not in the same way we see it at the movie theatres. The Zodiac killer show, maybe? The Bind, Torture, Kill story? Halloween, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw massacre? I mean, it's a "youth" activity, but are shows like this acceptable, especially since they go places creatively that our activity hasn't yet?

O.J. Simpson trial as a DCI show! I'd buy tickets just to see that.

Something tells me that if you could do a Harry Potter show juuuuuust right, it would be insanely popular.

Hrothgar: I have to commiserate with you on this one...I can't imagine how I'd feel if I actually had to see those stickers on the books. I mean, besides it obviously eating away a little bit more at my faith in humanity.

What is and isn't appropriate to say through a microphone at a drum corps show?

you set yourself up so easily, man.

anyway, i agree, the people who design drum corps shows basically have no artistic balls. not even the cadets. i want to see shows that #### people off, either because of the pure emotion of the music, or because of the topic the music explores. I also want to see people completely awe-struck to silence, or moved to cry.

bottom line is:

The OMGZ THEY ARE PLAYING TEH LOUDS :tounge2::tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: !!!!!!!!!111eleventy-one111!!!!! is not the only emotional response one should have to a show.

I'm sure Avenue Q wouldn't be that risque....if DutchBoy can pull off South Park, I mean, come on....

It would definitly be a challenge, but a cool one, if someone were to do something REALLY nuts like Zodiac. There's been shows that try it that come mind, but the overall "it's a murder mystery" or something like that just doesn't seem to come off very well.

I'm sure Avenue Q wouldn't be that risque....if DutchBoy can pull off South Park, I mean, come on....

It would definitly be a challenge, but a cool one, if someone were to do something REALLY nuts like Zodiac. There's been shows that try it that come mind, but the overall "it's a murder mystery" or something like that just doesn't seem to come off very well.

Although imagine a clear murder mystery storyline where the full ending, revealing the killer from among the 4 or 5 possible suspects, isn't presented until Finals night. Imagine all the conjecture and polls and the like on these boards and elsewhere all season long as we try to decipher the clues and guess who the real killer is.

Could be kinda fun if done clearly enough ....

That mystery theme could be really big. But I think it would only be a one time trick thing.

But if there could be an alternate ending written up for the finals night, that would be very cool.

I think the problem right now is that a lot of corps choose their music first. So that's why a show such as a mystery theme would be hard to find.

I'd imagine when directors want to find a new show piece, they go and grab all the CDs they have and listen to them. They are probably mostly latin jazz, afrofunk, classical, rock, and music like that. And that's where most shows come from.

Maybe next season we can send a letter to a corps director and pitch the idea to them. It could be a great show