Uniforms

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glassmen need to bring this back:

470220331_6e0cd6a72c.jpg

Next five to ten years... Well, speaking with something of an "industry insider" view, the next wave borrows a lot from runway fashion - Not extravagant "fashion student" crazy stuff, but "high" (costly, celebrity) fashion. That is not to say that the cost of uniforms will be going up... Unless you want to look like Spirit... As far as things that will stay, things that will come and things that will go, here are my "top ten" predictions:

10) "Wings" (shoulder caps and canopies) and gauntlets AS WE KNOW THEM are on the endangered species list - They won't disappear completely, but they are evolving as we speak...

9) Slowly replacing the caps and gauntlet are new forms epaulets, or "shoulder straps", continuing to appear in unexpected places and used in unique ways for body definition. Also, watch out for fresh new takes on the sleeve and collar areas!

8) The "suit coat" look will be hot, complete with fedora hat - fresh-to-death and classy as hell! New materials and construction techniques will give this "throwback" look a clean and uniform appearance.

7) "Subtle stripes", meaning, pant stripes made of satin or similar material on pant legs - and not always on the side!

6) "Subtle two-tone" Two or more shades of the same hue - for #'s 6 and 7, look at Bluecoats, but ONLY FOR COLOR and PANTS - not the "cut" or design.

5) That "gradient thing" used by Spirit (officially known as "Sublimation") is a fad. I give it a shelf life of five years max. It's cute, but cost prohibitive.

4) Oh, the same goes for the Broken Arrow look. Trendy... for now. (Yes, I get the irony of that statement, having perpetrated said trend visa-vis the Blue Stars... personally, I think it was pretty sweet, but again, trendy.)

3) New forms of headgear. Perhaps not as clean as the beloved standard shako, but interesting none the less. Tall shakos in particular, will be hip (ala Guardsmen in the late 70's) <Fast fact: did you know that there are people who have a tactile aversion to plumes! Seriously! The feel of plume feathers recalls that of a dead bird and they can't bring themselves to touch, let alone wear, the device.>

2) Color, in general, will rule! You guys are dead on: The cuts and styles wont be that different, folks. What we will see though is less of the formulaic "black bibber/predominantly white top and color or metallic accent" so common to marching units nationwide. Also, dark colors, aside from black, will play well as the new pant color of choice. New colors and their respective tints and shades will be used to great effect by designers in the 2010's and beyond.

1) By 2015, kids will be asking, "Michael Cesari-who?"

:)

BTW, I'm truly amazed at the accuracy of some of your predictions, folks... Sounds like this board has many well-informed visual minds on it - or just very observant people who make good guesses!

-TGB

Next five to ten years... Well, speaking with something of an "industry insider" view, the next wave borrows a lot from runway fashion - Not extravagant "fashion student" crazy stuff, but "high" (costly, celebrity) fashion. That is not to say that the cost of uniforms will be going up... Unless you want to look like Spirit... As far as things that will stay, things that will come and things that will go, here are my "top ten" predictions:

Just wanted to comment that Becorps is my absolute favorite designer out there right now.

Question....why is it that drum corps/marching band uniforms are what they are, while the other parts of this activity (ie winter guard, winter drumline, color guard) get a different uniform every year to fit with the show? If anything drastic is going to change, I see it as every corps getting new uniforms each year, but much less durable like winter guard uniforms. And before anyone says "But what about the corps with colors in their name?" there are winter guards/drumlines with colors in their names that incorporate the color into their uniform each year.

My $0.02