1991 Star

What kept this corps from winning? No offense to Cavies, but I listened to an mp3 of Star this morning for the umpteenth time and am just in awe at what they achieved musically. Were there visual elements that kept them from winning? The hornline was amazing, and the arrangements were very tough. What was the atmosphere and attitude surrounding Finals week and Star not winning and Cavies taking it?

Very interested here. Thanks.

Edited by TXMystreaux

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I checked Star won in 1991.

'92 Star (I believe that is who you are talking about) was a great corps, but they seemed to continually flatten out as they went during DCI week. They came in as the corps to beat, and won quarterfinals, dropped to 2nd behind the Cavaliers at semis and fell to 3rd at finals, behind both the Cavaliers and Cadets. I personally thought the Cadets should have won finals, and thought the Cavaliers should have been 3rd.

Visual was our problem this year ('92). We marched OK, but the difficulty level was way down from '91. I personally don't like our foot technique when I compare it to '93. Zingali was only able to write a few of the charts the previous winter before he passed away. Todd Ryan had to pick up the pieces and put something together. I also think the show didn't flow quite right from a big picture perspective...I kinda wished we'd done a different closer...I'm not a big Chester fan either. Nothing against Todd, but I always wondered how the final product would've turned out if Zingali had been around. Add to this the fact that we went overboard with the props. Color guard was not a strong suit either. I've been told that the drumline went through a rough patch right after Preview of Champions that year and it took them until the last week and a half to get squared away again.

Some people will say that we peaked...this might be true because the show was so easy, but I think we (the members) pretty much maxed it out. The last week of the year was just phenomenal how things effortlessly started clicking in place. Jim Prime said something that week that I never thought I would hear him say, "That was perfect. Let's move on." :thumbup: We got a perfect GE Brass score one of the nights on finals weekend (can't remember which anymore). Some have said it was the best Star brassline. I think the music book was just a big fat meatball pitched over the center of the plate that was easy for a brassline coming off of the Pines of Rome to hit out of the park. In some ways, I'm kinda glad we didn't win that year. The fans hated us enough as it was and there would've been a complete meltdown had it happened.

Dangit. . .grrrr. . .Star 1990 is what I am talking about. . .the Belshazzar show. Sorry for all of the confusion.

Yeah, Star 90 was just fantastic. I don't even really watch any other shows from that year, so I don't care about the placement. It just rocks. The exposed parts for tubas throughout the opener just blow me away. Such a lush sound for the brass, and the music never gets old for me. I think their visual/colorguard kept them from placing higher.

Hi TX,

In reading your first post, I think you might have mixed up 90, 91, and 92. If you're referring to Star not catching the Cavaliers, and the Cavaliers taking it....that's an easy one to mix up. Cadets won in 1990, Cavies behind us, and Star 3rd.

91, Star won, and Cavies were 2nd (I think). 92, Cavies won, with Cadets in 2nd and Star in 3rd. It's easy to get 'em mixed up, due to the closeness of all the placings, and the flip-flopping.

But, Star from 90-93 were hornlines that created a dynasty. They were brilliant at every level. I wasn't a fan of the Cavaliers' horn lines during those years...not nearly as strong as they are today (but Cavies had an outstanding percussion program those years, and still do). I agree with Star having a great book and performance at finals, but their field and GE visual, as well as field percussion numbers hurt them. If those captions averaged out to where the corps placed in the rest of their captions, they would have been 1 or 2 tenths behind the Cavaliers.

Hope that helps!